Monster Bark – A layer of melted chocolate topped with “spooky” green candy melts and candy eyeballs. This monster bark is a fun and festive Halloween treat.
Halloween is the perfect time for making fun and festive treats. For school, for parties or just because, kids of all ages love Halloween-themed treats. And this chocolate monster bark couldn’t be easier. The addition of candy eyeballs turns this bark into a spooktacular treat.
What do I need to make monster bark?
- chocolate – I prefer using dark chocolate melting wafers such as Ghiradelli. Dark or semi-sweet chocolate chips can also be used.
- colored candy melts – green, orange or purple candy melts are great options to use as an accent color
- candy eyeballs – to create the “monsters”. Candy eyeballs can be found at craft stores like Michaels or Hobby Lobby and party stores. Some supermarkets may also carry them.
How do I melt chocolate?
Melting chocolate isn’t complicated, but it’s important to melt the chocolate slowly so that it doesn’t burn or cease up.
- Microwave method – add the melting wafers to a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave in 30-second intervals at 50% power. Stir after each 30-second interval. The wafers hold their shape as they soften, so stirring is key to monitoring when the chocolate is melted. Stir until completely smooth.
- Double boiler method – set a heat-proof bowl over a pan of gently simmering water. The bottom of the bowl should not be touching the water. Add the chocolate to the bowl and stir until completely melted.
How do I assemble the monster bark?
- Spread the melted chocolate in an even layer on a parchment-lined baking sheet. (A silicone baking mat can also be used.)
- Drizzle the melted colored candy melts over the top in a random fashion.
- Arrange the googly candy eyeballs on top.
- Let the bark set up and harden at room temperature. The bark can also be refrigerated to set up faster. Cut or break into pieces.
This Monster Bark is sure to be a hit at your Halloween festivities. If you try this recipe, please leave me a comment below and tag me on Instagram @mycasualpantry so I can see your spooky creations.
More seasonal treats to try
- Chocolate Caramel Saltine Toffee
- Fall Toffee
- Harvest Snack Mix
- Chocolate Truffles
- Cheesy Mummy Bratwurst
Melted chocolate topped with googly eye candy for a festive Halloween treat.
- 10 ounces dark chocolate like Ghiradelli chocolate melting wafers
- 1/4 cup candy melts green, orange, or purple
- 1/2 ounce candy eyeballs
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Set aside.
Melt the dark chocolate wafers according to package directions. I prefer the microwave method. Add the chocolate to a microwave-safe bowl and microwave in 30-second intervals at 50% power until melted, stirring in between intervals.
When melted, pour the chocolate onto the prepared baking sheet and spread into an even layer approx. 1/4-inch thick.
Next, melt the colored candy melts according to package directions. Drizzle over the chocolate in a random fashion. Before the chocolate sets, arrange the candy eyeballs on top. Let harden at room temperature. Cut or break into pieces. Store in an airtight container.