If you're looking for a quick 10-minute side dish that is packed with freshness and flavor, look no further. Lemon Pepper Green Beans are perfect for weeknight dinners and holidays alike.
Anything-but-boring green beans
These green beans are my go-to side dish at least once a week. They are quick and easy and packed with fresh lemon flavor.
This side dish is also a great option for larger meals when you want to add something fresh without much work. You can easily pull this together at the last minute. Be sure to also try my Green Bean Casserole or Roasted Green Beans with Orange Butter and Crispy Pancetta.
Why these beans will be your new favorite
- Fresh green beans - Fresh is a must in this recipe and they are widely available all year long. Their crisp-tender texture is addicting. I purchase the packaged, ready-to-use beans from the produce section which eliminates prep time.
- Lemon pepper seasoning - I love the extra punch of flavor this seasoning provides. If you don't have this on hand, there's no need to make a special trip to the store. Instead, add an extra squeeze of lemon juice and another pinch of pepper.
See the recipe card for complete instructions and ingredient amounts.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the butter.
- Add the beans to the melted butter, tossing to coat. Season with the lemon pepper seasoning, salt and pepper.
- Cook for 8-10 minutes, tossing occasionally, until the beans have some delicious caramelization on them. They will have a crisp-tender texture. If you prefer a softer texture, cook a little bit longer.
- Add a squeeze of lemon juice and the lemon zest. Season to taste with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Serve immediately.
Green beans are so versatile and go well with so many flavors. Try adding fresh herbs such as dill, parsley, oregano, thyme or basil. Season with garlic, onions, bacon, or citrus zest and garnish with chopped nuts.
If using fresh out of the garden beans or purchasing them loose from the supermarket, yes you should clean them. Rinse the beans in cold water to remove any loose dirt. Trim each end, removing the string with a paring knife if necessary. If you buy packaged green beans in the produce section of your supermarket, these are ready to eat. Just cook and enjoy!
Subscribe to My Casual Pantry to get the latest recipes and ideas sent directly to your inbox.
Lemon Pepper Green Beans
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 12 ounces fresh green beans cleaned and trimmed (Note 1)
- ¼ teaspoon lemon pepper seasoning (Note 2)
- ½ lemon zested and juiced
- salt and pepper to taste (Note 3)
- Preheat a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the butter. When melted, add the green beans and toss to coat. Season with the lemon pepper seasoning and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Cook for 8-10 minutes, tossing occasionally, until the beans are slightly caramelized and crisp-tender. If you prefer a softer texture, cook for a few additional minutes.
- Add the lemon juice and lemon zest. Toss to combine. Season to taste with another pinch of salt and pepper if necessary. Serve immediately.
- If using fresh out of the garden beans or purchasing them loose from the supermarket, clean the beans before cooking. Rinse the beans in cold water to remove any loose dirt. Trim each end, removing the string with a paring knife if necessary. If you buy packaged green beans in the produce section of your supermarket, these are ready to use.
- If you don't have lemon pepper seasoning, add an extra pinch of pepper and extra lemon juice.
- Taste before adjusting salt and pepper. Some lemon pepper seasoning contains salt, some does not.
Nutritional information is an estimate and will vary depending upon the exact amounts and specific ingredients used.