Homemade Chunky Salsa has both fire-roasted and fresh tomatoes combined with lots of flavor-packed ingredients. So fresh tasting and easy to make!
Homemade salsa is so fresh tasting and easy to make. There’s no need to buy that jarred stuff ever again! After a little bit of chopping and dicing, all the ingredients get tossed in a bowl and stirred together. Grab some tortilla chips and serve immediately or refrigerate to enhance the flavors a bit more.
- Tomatoes: I like using a combination of fire-roasted and fresh Roma tomatoes. The fire-roasted tomatoes may come with green chiles. If this is the case, omit the separate can of chopped green chiles. Alternatively, the fire-roasted tomatoes can be replaced with an additional 1 3/4 cup of fresh diced tomatoes.
- Onions: I prefer red onions, but yellow onions are fine too. Dice the onion finely so there aren’t any large pieces with a sharp bite.
- Jalapenos: Both pickled and fresh jalapenos are fine in this recipe. The pickled jalapenos are a bit milder, so it’s all about how much heat you want in your salsa. If you like it really spicy, use a fresh jalapeno and leave the seeds and membrane intact.
- Sugar: Canned tomatoes tend to be more acidic, so I balance this with a little sugar. When using only fresh tomatoes, the sugar can be omitted.
- Cumin, salt, and pepper: The quantities of these seasonings can all be adjusted to taste.
- Cilantro: I love cilantro and I use it pretty generously in this recipe. The quantity can be adjusted or omitted altogether, based on personal preference.
- Lime juice: Fresh lime juice brightens up all of the flavors and is the perfect finishing touch.
Ways to use salsa
Chips and salsa is a favorite snack in our family, but there are so many other ways to enjoy salsa.
- Serve over grilled chicken
- Use as a topping for tacos
- Use as a garnish on nachos
- Spoon over scrambled eggs
- Serve with quesadillas
This salsa is perfect for game day snacking, party buffets, or as a condiment for Taco Tuesdays. If you make this recipe, please leave a comment below and tag me on Instagram @mycasualpantry so I can see your creation.
Similar recipes you may enjoy
- Poblano and Roasted Corn Salsa
- Corn and Black Bean Salad with Avocado and Cilantro
- Black-Eyed Pea Salad with Corn, Bacon, and Avocado
This salsa is loaded with both fire-roasted and fresh tomatoes plus lots of other fresh ingredients. Serve with chips or spoon over grilled chicken or tacos.
- 15 ounces fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 3-4 Roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 4 ounces chopped green chiles
- 1/3 cup diced red onion
- 1/4 cup pickled jalapenos, chopped, or 1 fresh jalapeno chopped with seeds and membranes removed
- 3 cloves garlic, finely diced
- 1 large lime or 2 small limes juiced
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
To a large mixing bowl, add the tomatoes, green chiles, jalapenos, red onion, and garlic. Stir to combine. Add the lime juice, cumin, sugar, salt, pepper, and cilantro. Stir to combine.
Serve immediately or store in the refrigerator in an airtight container.