Homemade Chunky Salsa has both fire-roasted and fresh tomatoes combined with lots of flavor-packed ingredients. So fresh tasting and easy to make!
Homemade salsa is so fresh tasting and easy to make. There's no need to buy that jarred stuff ever again! After a little bit of chopping and dicing, all the ingredients get tossed in a bowl and stirred together. Grab some tortilla chips and serve immediately or refrigerate to enhance the flavors a bit more.
- Tomatoes: I like using a combination of fire-roasted and fresh Roma tomatoes. The fire-roasted tomatoes may come with green chiles. If this is the case, omit the separate can of chopped green chiles. Alternatively, the fire-roasted tomatoes can be replaced with an additional 1 ¾ cup of fresh diced tomatoes.
- Onions: I prefer red onions, but yellow onions are fine too. Dice the onion finely so there aren't any large pieces with a sharp bite.
- Jalapenos: Both pickled and fresh jalapenos are fine in this recipe. The pickled jalapenos are a bit milder, so it's all about how much heat you want in your salsa. If you like it really spicy, use a fresh jalapeno and leave the seeds and membrane intact.
- Sugar: Canned tomatoes tend to be more acidic, so I balance this with a little sugar. When using only fresh tomatoes, the sugar can be omitted.
- Cumin, salt, and pepper: The quantities of these seasonings can all be adjusted to taste.
- Cilantro: I love cilantro and I use it pretty generously in this recipe. The quantity can be adjusted or omitted altogether, based on personal preference.
- Lime juice: Fresh lime juice brightens up all of the flavors and is the perfect finishing touch.
Ways to use salsa
Chips and salsa is a favorite snack in our family, but there are so many other ways to enjoy salsa.
- Serve over grilled chicken
- Use as a topping for tacos
- Use as a garnish on nachos
- Spoon over scrambled eggs
- Serve with quesadillas
This salsa is perfect for game day snacking, party buffets, or as a condiment for Taco Tuesdays.
- Poblano and Roasted Corn Salsa
- Mango Pineapple Salsa
- Best Homemade Guacamole
- Corn and Black Bean Salad with Avocado and Cilantro
- Black-Eyed Pea Salad with Corn, Bacon, and Avocado
Homemade Chunky Salsa
- 15 ounces fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 3-4 Roma tomatoes (seeded and diced)
- 4 ounces chopped green chiles
- ⅓ cup diced red onion
- ¼ cup pickled jalapenos (chopped, or 1 fresh jalapeno chopped with seeds and membranes removed)
- 3 cloves garlic (finely diced)
- 1 large lime (juiced, or 2 small limes)
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper (to taste)
- ½ teaspoon salt (to taste)
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- To a large mixing bowl, add the tomatoes, green chiles, jalapenos, red onion, and garlic. Stir to combine. Add the lime juice, cumin, sugar, salt, pepper, and cilantro. Stir to combine.
- Serve immediately or store in the refrigerator in an airtight container.
Nutritional information is an estimate and will vary depending upon the exact amounts and specific ingredients used.