Double Mint Oreo Ice Cream is a twist on cookies and cream with a double mint punch from fresh mint and mint Oreo cookies.
Double Mint Oreo Ice Cream is the perfect treat for St. Patrick's Day. A variation on my cookies and cream recipe, this ice cream is infused with fresh mint and loaded with mint Oreos.
Serve this ice cream with a drizzle of hot fudge or blend into a shake. For an extra-indulgent treat, top a brownie with a scoop or two, hot fudge and whipped cream. Or make an adult-only Grasshopper shake by blending the ice cream with some creme de menthe and creme de cacao.
Other ice cream recipes you may enjoy
- Salted Caramel Ice Cream with Chocolate Covered Peanuts (Vanilla with caramel swirls)
- Vanilla Bean Ice Cream
- Toffee Coffee Ice Cream
- Triple Mint Ice Cream
- Milk Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Ice Cream
- Chocolate Malt Ball Ice Cream
Double Mint Oreo Ice Cream
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 2 cups heavy cream, divided
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1 bunch fresh mint
- 2 egg yolks
- 10 drops of green food coloring
- 10 mint oreo cookies, crushed
- In a medium saucepan placed over medium heat, add the half-and-half and 1 ½ cups of the heavy cream. Add sugar and salt and whisk until dissolved. Stir in the mint leaves to steep.
- While the cream mixture heats, add 2 egg yolks to the remaining ½ cup of heavy cream, whisking to combine. When the cream is hot, slowly ladle some of the hot cream into the cream and egg yolks, whisking continuously. This tempers the eggs.
- Then slowly pour the egg yolk mixture into the hot cream mixture, while whisking. Cook over medium-low heat until slightly thickened, being careful not to boil the cream mixture.
- Strain the mixture into a heat-proof bowl. Add green food coloring and whisk. Cover with plastic wrap, pressing the plastic wrap directly on top of the cream mixture. Refrigerate until completely chilled.
- Meanwhile, place the Oreos in a zipper top bag and crush into pieces, Set aside.
- Transfer the chilled cream mixture to an ice cream machine and churn until the mixture is the consistency of soft serve. When the ice cream is ready, transfer to a freezer-safe container. and fold in crushed mint Oreos. Freeze until firm, approx 3-4 hours.
- To amplify the mint flavor, leave the fresh mint in the cream mixture while it chills. Strain out the mint leaves before adding cream to the ice cream machine.
- Total time does not include chill or freeze time.