Creamy vanilla ice cream swirled with salted caramel sauce and studded with chocolate-covered peanuts.
We are an ice cream-loving family. It doesn’t matter what time of year it is or what the weather is like outside. We LOVE ice cream. Salted Caramel Ice Cream with Chocolate Covered Peanuts is a recent newcomer to our ice cream line-up.
This ice cream is a perfect blend of rich and creamy vanilla, salty caramel, and crunchy peanuts. I like to use this store-bought salted caramel sauce, but homemade is delicious too. The chocolate-covered peanuts add saltiness, crunchiness, and a touch of chocolate.
First, make the vanilla ice cream base and churn in an ice cream machine. Then it’s time to assemble. To do this, the layering method is best. Add half of the ice cream to a freezer-safe container. Top with dollops of caramel sauce and half of the peanuts. Then, repeat with a second layer. Freeze until firm. When scooped, there will be beautiful swirls of caramel from the layering. Through trial and error, I have learned that attempting to swirl in the caramel sauce at the beginning results in a brownish blah-looking mixture. A uniform caramel ice cream will certainly taste good, but it’s the beautiful caramel swirls I’m after!
I hope you add Salted Caramel Ice Cream with Chocolate Covered Peanuts to your family’s ice cream routine. If you try this recipe, please leave a comment below and tag me on Instagram @mycasualpantry so I can see your creation!
Other ice cream flavors you may enjoy
- Double Mint Oreo Ice Cream
- Toffee Coffee Ice Cream
- Chocolate Malt Ball Ice Cream
- Vanilla Bean Ice Cream
- Cinnamon Ice Cream
Creamy vanilla ice cream studded with chocolate covered peanuts and swirled with salted caramel sauce.
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 2 cups heavy cream, divided
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste
- pinch of salt
- 6 ounces salted caramel sauce
- 3 ounces chocolate covered peanuts
In a medium saucepan placed over medium heat, add the half-and-half and 1 1/2 cups of the heavy cream. Add sugar and salt and whisk until dissolved.
- While the cream mixture heats, add 2 egg yolks to the remaining 1/2 cup of heavy cream, whisking to combine. When the cream is hot, slowly ladle some of the hot cream into the cream and egg yolks, whisking continuously. This tempers the eggs.
- Then slowly pour the egg yolk mixture into the hot cream mixture, while whisking. Cook over medium-low heat until slightly thickened, being careful not to boil the cream mixture.
Strain the mixture into a heat-proof bowl. Whisk in vanilla extract and vanilla bean paste. Cover with plastic wrap, pressing the plastic wrap directly on top of the cream mixture. Refrigerate until completely chilled.
Transfer to an ice cream machine and churn until the mixture is the consistency of soft serve. Transfer one-half of the ice cream to a freezer-safe container. Top with spoonfuls of caramel sauce and one-half of the peanuts. Repeat with the second layer. Freeze until firm, approx 3-4 hours.
This post may contain affiliate links.