What would Labor Day weekend be without ice cream! A cool, sweet treat is a perfect end to a lazy afternoon or a cookout with friends.
If you follow my blog, then you know we are an ice cream loving family. Because of this, I make a batch of ice cream once a week. This week's flavor is Triple Mint Ice Cream - delicious and loaded with chocolatey minty goodness!
This recipe is a twist on my Mint Chocolate Chip ice cream. The trifecta of mint starts with fresh mint-infused ice cream. Next, instead of chocolate chips, the ice cream is packed with Andes Chocolate Mints and Junior Mint candies. So, if you are a fan of chocolate and mint, then this ice cream is a must-try!
Triple Mint Ice Cream
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 2 cups heavy cream, divided
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 bunch fresh mint leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 egg yolks
- few drops of green food coloring
- 1 box (3.5 ounces) Junior Mints
- 14 pieces Andes Chocolate Mints, chopped (1/2 of 4.67-ounce package)
- In a medium saucepan placed over medium heat, add the half-and-half and 1 1/2 cups of the heavy cream. Add sugar and salt and whisk until dissolved. Stir in the mint leaves to steep.
- While the cream mixture heats, add 2 egg yolks to the remaining 1/2 cup of heavy cream, whisking to combine. When the cream is hot, slowly ladle some of the hot cream into the cream and egg yolks, whisking continuously. This tempers the eggs.
- Then slowly pour the egg yolk mixture into the hot cream mixture, while whisking. Cook over medium-low heat until slightly thickened, being careful not to boil the cream mixture.
- Strain the mixture into a heat-proof bowl. Cover with plastic wrap, pressing the plastic wrap directly on top of the cream mixture. Refrigerate until completely chilled
- Transfer to an ice cream machine and churn until the mixture is the consistency of soft serve. Transfer to a freezer-safe container and stir in Andes Mints and Junior Mints. Freeze until firm, approx 3-4 hours.