Classic Wedge Salad with Blue Cheese Dressing is a classic steakhouse salad with crisp iceberg lettuce, bacon, tomatoes, chives, and a creamy, homemade blue cheese dressing. Delicious served with any meal or as lunch by itself.
What is a wedge salad?
A classic wedge salad is just that - a wedge of lettuce, specifically iceberg, that is topped with fixings such as bacon, tomatoes, and blue cheese dressing. These salads are often found on the menus at popular steakhouses.
What is iceberg lettuce?
Iceberg lettuce is a variety of lettuce that is light green in color and grows in a round head, similar to cabbage. While iceberg often gets a bad rap for not being as nutrient-dense as darker leafy greens, it is very low in calories and has a crisp, refreshing bite. Iceberg tends to keep longer than other leafy greens.
How to cut iceberg lettuce
- Start with a whole head of iceberg lettuce. Wash and dry the lettuce and remove any wilted or brown outer layers of lettuce.
- Leave the core intact and cut the head of lettuce in half through the middle of the core. Then, cut each half in half again, through the core. You will have four wedges. TIP: For larger heads of lettuce, I often cut each half into thirds. The smaller wedges are nice individual-sized servings as a starter salad course.
- After cutting the wedges, remove the core from each wedge of lettuce.
Classic wedge salads are usually topped with bacon, tomatoes, chives (or red onion), and blue cheese crumbles. I like to add thin slices of radish for their color and flavor. If you choose to make a loaded wedge salad, add olives, hard-boiled eggs, or cubes of avocado. If you aren't a fan of blue cheese, add shredded cheddar instead.
Homemade Blue Cheese Dressing
Blue cheese dressing is traditional on a wedge salad, and I love making homemade dressing. If you wish to pass on blue cheese, ranch dressing is a delicious option too... and ranch pairs well with cheddar cheese.
This blue cheese dressing is rich and tangy and is easy to make with ingredients that are likely in your pantry/fridge.
- sour cream
- minced garlic
- Worcestershire sauce
- white wine vinegar
- salt and white pepper
- blue cheese crumbles
Simply add all of the ingredients (except the blue cheese crumbles) to a mason jar and shake. You can adjust the thickness of the dressing by increasing or decreasing the amount of milk added. When you have achieved the desired consistency, stir in the blue cheese crumbles. Store the dressing in the refrigerator for up to one week... if it lasts that long!
Can I make this salad ahead of time?
The individual ingredients can all be prepped ahead of time. Since iceberg lettuce stays crisp for quite a while, you can assemble the salad in the morning of the day you are serving. However, I prefer to prep the ingredients ahead of time but wait to assemble until just before serving for the optimal freshness of the ingredients. I also like serving the dressing on the side.
The classic wedge salad is a great option for family gatherings. Iceberg lettuce is relatively inexpensive and this recipe makes several servings. It's fun to set up a "make-your-own-wedge-salad-bar" where everyone can customize their own salad.
More salad recipes you may also enjoy
- Garden Salad with Balsamic Mustard Dressing
- Buffalo Chicken Caesar Salad
- Cheeseburger Salad
- Harvest Salad with Arugula, Apples and Blue Cheese
- Mexican Cobb Salad with Creamy Salsa Dressing
- Brussels Sprouts and Kale Salad
Subscribe to My Casual Pantry to get the latest recipes and ideas sent directly to your inbox.
Classic Wedge Salad with Blue Cheese Dressing
Blue cheese dressing
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 ½ teaspoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon milk
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon white pepper
- 1-2 ounces blue cheese (crumbled, plus extra for topping)
- 8 slices bacon
- 2 heads iceberg lettuce
- 5 ounces grape tomatoes (halved)
- 2 radishes (sliced thin)
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- In a glass mason jar, combine the mayonnaise, sour cream, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, vinegar, milk, salt, and pepper. Shake well. Stir in crumbled blue cheese.
- In a skillet set over medium heat, cook bacon until brown and crisp. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate. When cool, chop and set aside.
- Wash and pat dry the lettuce. Remove any wilted or brown outer layers of lettuce. With the core intact, slice the head in half, through the core. Cut each half in half again. Transfer to a serving platter.
- Pour the dressing into a small bowl if serving on the side OR drizzle over the lettuce wedges. Top with bacon, tomatoes, radishes, chives, and extra crumbled blue cheese.
Nutritional information is an estimate and will vary depending upon the exact amounts and specific ingredients used.