Chicken with Kale and Artichokes – chicken tenders, kale, and artichokes are simmered in a light cream sauce. Ready in 30 minutes or less, this easy and delicious dish is perfect for weeknight meals.
After all of the baking and holiday prep, I love turning to a 30 minute (or less) recipe to get dinner on the table quickly. Chicken with Kale and Artichokes is easy to pull together, cooks quickly, and is loaded with flavor.
Chicken with Kale and Artichokes
This recipe doesn’t have complicated ingredients – in fact, most of these ingredients are likely things that you have on hand.
(chicken broth and parmesan not pictured)
- Chicken tenders – tenders (or strips) cook quickly which makes them ideal for a 30-minute dish. If you have chicken breasts on hand, simply cut them into thin strips.
- Seasoning – prepare a spice rub of onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, salt, and pepper.
- Kale – I love the hardiness of kale, but fresh spinach can also be used.
- Artichoke hearts – I use the canned variety. Drain the artichokes before adding to the dish.
- Chicken broth – creates the sauce.
- Heavy cream – adds richness to the sauce, but the chicken stock keeps the sauce light.
- Parmesan cheese – everything is better with cheese!
How do I make 30-minute Chicken with Kale and Artichokes?
- Mix up the spice rub, chop some kale, and drain a can of artichoke hearts.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat and toss in the butter and oil. Season the chicken tenders on both sides with the spice rub (reserving 1/2 – 1 teaspoon of the spice mixture) and add the chicken to the skillet.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes per side until golden brown. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Add the kale and artichokes to the skillet. Season with the remaining spice rub. Saute for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth and heavy cream to the skillet. Add the chicken back to the pan, along with any juices.
- Cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes on medium-low.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the parmesan cheese.
- Serve with bread or over rice (Jasmine is my favorite) to soak up all of the yummy sauce.
The chicken is flavorful and tender, the kale perfectly wilted, the cream sauce delicious. This recipe has a comfort food feel without being heavy – and it’s ready in 30 minutes or less. If you try this recipe, please leave me a comment below and tag me on Instagram @mycasualpantry so I can see your creation.
More easy recipes to try
- Skillet Sausage and Shells
- Brussels Sprouts Pasta with Pancetta and Lemon
- Mushroom Ravioli with Sage Butter
- Roasted Artichoke Hearts
- Sheet Pan Bacon Ranch Chicken
30-minute recipe with chicken tenders, kale, and artichokes simmered in a light cream sauce.
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound chicken tenders (or strips)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 14 ounces canned quartered artichokes drained
- 2 cups chopped kale
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- scallions, chives, or parsley for garnish
Preheat a skillet over medium heat. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix together the onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, salt, and pepper. Season the chicken with the spice mixture, reserving 1/2-1 teaspoon.
Add the butter and oil to the skillet. Add the chicken and cook for 3-4 minutes per side until golden brown. Transfer the chicken to a plate. Set aside.
Add the chopped kale and drained artichokes to the skillet. Season with the remaining spice mixture. Saute for 1-2 minutes.
Add the chicken broth and heavy cream. Add the chicken back to the pan along with any juices that collected on the plate. Cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes over medium-low heat.
Remove from heat and stir in the parmesan cheese. Garnish with scallions, chives, or parsley. Serve with bread or over rice.