Roasted Artichoke Hearts are an easy side dish that pairs perfectly with fish, beef, or chicken. The artichokes are seasoned with the bright and bold flavors of lemon, rosemary, garlic, and red pepper flakes.
Artichoke hearts are well-known as spinach’s sidekick in a popular dip, but they also make a delicious side dish when roasted. I add lemon, rosemary, and garlic which complement the artichokes wonderfully and add bold flavor. Roasting is such an easy preparation for vegetables and enhances their flavor.
How to Roast Artichoke Hearts
- Use canned or frozen artichoke hearts. Canned artichoke hearts should be drained. Frozen artichokes should be thawed and drained.
- Roast in a shallow baking dish or on a sheet pan.
- Toss the artichokes with olive oil and combine with seasonings like citrus, garlic, and herbs.
- Roast at 425 degrees for 30-35 minutes, stirring once, until caramelized.
- Top with bread crumbs for texture and serve.
How to Add flavor to artichoke hearts
I like adding bright and bold flavors to these roasted artichoke hearts. These are my favorites:
- Lemon – Lemon pairs beautifully with artichokes and the roasted slices also add to the presentation.
- Rosemary – One of my favorite herbs, rosemary also pairs well with lemon and artichokes.
- Garlic – I like to cut the garlic cloves in half to help them impart their flavor. Before serving, remove the garlic so the flavor isn’t too overpowering.
- Red pepper flakes – Red pepper flakes add a touch of heat and also provide a pop of color in this dish.
- Breadcrumbs – Breadcrumbs add a bit of crunch and homemade ones are best.
Serve artichoke hearts as a side dish with fish, beef, or chicken. Pair with pasta. Add this dish to your side dish line-up on Thanksgiving. No matter how you serve these artichoke hearts, they are delicious. If you try this recipe, please leave me a comment below and tag me on Instagram @mycasualpantry.
More recipes you may enjoy
- Roasted Radishes and Green Beans with Blue Cheese Butter
- Grilled Vegetables with Orzo and Lemon Dijon Vinaigrette
- Lemon Rosemary Roasted Fingerling Potatoes
- Maple Ginger Roasted Carrots
- Bacon-Wrapped Balsamic Brussels Sprouts
- Roasted Cauliflower in Coconut Curry Sauce
Artichoke hearts are roasted with lemon, rosemary, garlic, and red pepper flakes for an easy and delicious side dish.
- 28 ounces artichoke hearts drained
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 lemon sliced
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 2 slices bread use stale or 2-3 day-old bread
- 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon parsley
Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
Drain the artichoke hearts and add to a shallow baking dish. Add the olive oil, garlic, and red pepper flakes. Toss to coat. Top with the lemon slices and rosemary.
Roast for 25-30 minutes until golden brown, stirring once half-way through roasting.
Meanwhile, prepare the breadcrumb topping. Add the sandwich roll or bread to a food processor. Pulse for 3-5 seconds until the bread turns to small crumbs. Add the oil and parsley and pulse once or twice to combine. Set aside.
Remove the artichokes from the oven and sprinkle with the breadcrumb topping. Bake for another 5 minutes. Remove and serve. (Optional: remove the garlic cloves before serving to tame the garlic flavor.)