These cherry scones have dried cherries, dark chocolate and a hint of almond extract. These are perfect for breakfast, brunch, or a sweet afternoon treat.
Twenty years ago, my husband and I took a trip to Montreal. On the way home, we spent a few days at a quaint bed and breakfast in the White Mountains of New Hampshire. My most vivid memory of this inn is the breakfast. Breakfast was served in a beautiful sunroom with views of the grounds. It was elegant yet homey at the same time.
The atmosphere was lovely, but the food was spectacular. I remember ordering quiche filled with spicy andouille sausage that knocked me off my feet. It was very spicy and so delicious. But it was the scones that I remember most vividly. They were scrumptious - buttery and perfectly sweet. I have loved scones ever since.
My love of scones continues with this Cherry Chocolate Almond version. I have a weakness for anything chocolate-almond and these flavors pair perfectly with cherries. I like the chew of dried cherries, and combined with dark chocolate and almond extract, these scones are delicious.
I chose to finish these scones with a dusting of powdered sugar. But, it would be perfectly acceptable to drizzle with a powdered sugar glaze if you so desire!
Grab a cup of coffee or tea to enjoy with one of these scones. It's a sweet start to any day or a welcome afternoon treat.
More breakfast recipes to try
Cherry Chocolate Almond Scones
- 6 tablespoons cold butter, cut into cubes
- 2 cups flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar, plus extra for sprinkling on top of the scones
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup dried cherries
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips
- 2 ounces dark chocolate baking bar, chopped
- 1 cup heavy cream, plus extra for brushing the top of scones
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a mixing bowl, add flour and cold butter. Using a pastry cutter, blend the flour and butter together until the mixture resembles pea-sized crumbs. Stir in sugar, baking powder, and salt. Fold in cherries and chocolate. Add cream and almond extract and gently stir until just combined.
- Dump dough onto pastry board. Shape the dough into a circle approx. 7-8 inches in diameter. Cut into 6-8 wedges. Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Brush the top of the scones with cream and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until lightly golden brown. Let cool. Sprinkle with powdered sugar. Store in an airtight container.