Radicchio and White Beans is sauteed with shallots and salty pancetta for a quick and easy one-pan weeknight meal.
One dish meal
This comforting one-skillet side dish is the perfect blend of texture and flavor. This dish comes together quickly, making it an ideal weeknight option.
- Radicchio is a hearty leaf vegetable with a slightly bitter and spicy flavor. Sauteeing, along with some shallots, mellows out this bitterness.
- Cannellini (white) beans are mild and provide a creamy texture.
- Pancetta provides a saltiness as well as a crispy bite. The drippings are used to saute the radicchio and shallots which soak up all of the salty flavors.
- A touch of cider vinegar at the end brightens up the whole dish.
- When serving, top with a lemony breadcrumb mixture. This adds crunch as well as brightness from the lemon zest.
These flavors and textures are so delicious. This dish is comforting yet it's on the lighter side. Serve by itself as a light lunch or as a side dish at dinner. For an all-in-one meal, top with grilled shrimp or roasted fish, such as cod.
- Corn and Black Bean Salad with Avocado and Cilantro
- Black-Eyed Pea Salad with Corn, Bacon and Avocado
- Tortellini Antipasto Salad
- Brussels Sprouts and Kale Salad
Radicchio and White Beans with Lemon Breadcrumbs
- 4 ounces diced pancetta
- ½ head radicchio, cored and sliced in thick wedges
- 1 shallot, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 15.5 ounces cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons bread crumbs
- zest of one lemon
- ½ teaspoon chopped chives
- In a skillet over medium heat, add the pancetta and cook until brown and crisp. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate. Reserve two teaspoons of the pancetta drippings.
- To the remaining pancetta drippings (about two teaspoons) add the shallots, radicchio, and the garlic. Saute over medium heat until shallots are softened and the radicchio is partially wilted. Stir in cannellini beans and season to taste with black pepper. Stir in the pancetta.
- In a small bowl, combine the breadcrumbs, reserved pancetta drippings, lemon zest, and chives. Stir to combine. Sprinkle mixture over each serving of the radicchio and bean mixture.
Nutritional information is an estimate and will vary depending upon the exact amounts and specific ingredients used.