Halloumi BLT Salad - all the flavors we love in a BLT tossed together with lime mayo dressing and topped with halloumi cheese. Crisp, fresh, and savory, this salad is the perfect lunch.
I love a BLT sandwich. They are classic - and for good reason. BLT's are all about flavor and texture - salty bacon, cool, crisp lettuce, juicy tomatoes - and mayonnaise - no BLT is complete without mayo in my opinion.
Classic sandwich turned salad
I'm taking the classic BLT flavors and transforming them into a salad - and topping all of it with slices of pan-fried halloumi cheese and a scrumptious lime mayo dressing. Sounds amazing, right? Well, it is AMAZING! I absolutely love halloumi. It pairs so well with the other ingredients. And, the lime mayo totally takes this salad over the top. The citrus note balances the salty bacon and cheese... and like I said before, I can't have a BLT without great mayo!
What is Halloumi?
If you aren't familiar with it, halloumi is a semi-hard, brined cheese typically made from goat's and sheep's milk. It has a salty bite and a texture similar to feta. Halloumi can often be found in the specialty cheese section of most supermarkets. If your local supermarket doesn't carry it, you can look for it at Whole Foods or Trader Joe's. Halloumi's firm texture makes it ideal for grilling or pan-searing because it retains its shape.
Tips for preparing
- Bacon - Any variety works great in this recipe. Thick cut or thin, cook the bacon to your desired doneness.
- Halloumi cheese comes in a brick form. Cut the cheese into ½ inch thick slices and then diagonally to form triangles. Sear the cheese in a skillet until golden brown on each side. I like to season the cheese with a touch of citrus chili seasoning. This is optional, but it adds great flavor. Alternatively, you can add a touch of chili powder, paprika, or black pepper.
- Lettuce - I love crisp lettuce on my BLT's, so romaine is a must for this salad. Chop the lettuce into bite-size pieces.
- Tomato - I prefer cherry or grape tomatoes, but any variety is totally fine.
- Lime-mayo - mayo is a must on BLTs, so I made a lime-mayo dressing for this salad. I love the brightness of the citrus. Simply add the juice of a lime to some mayonnaise. Depending on how juicy the lime is, sometimes I add a little honey to balance out the acidity. Toss the salad with some of the dressing and serve the rest on the side.
This salad is best served immediately when the halloumi is warm. You can cook the bacon and chop the lettuce ahead of time, but don't toss the lettuce with the dressing until ready to serve.
This Halloumi BLT salad is so easy to make and is a nice way to change-up your weekday salad lunch routine.
More salad recipes you may enjoy
- BLT Pasta Salad with Creamy Dressing
- Grilled Chicken Caprese Salad
- Corn, Tomato and Avocado Salad
- Greek Chickpea Salad
- Mexican Cobb Salad with Creamy Salsa Dressing
- Chopped Dorito Taco Salad
Halloumi BLT Salad
- 6 slices bacon
- 6 ounces halloumi cheese ((block form))
- citrus chili seasoning
- ⅓ cup mayonnaise
- 1 lime (juiced)
- 1-2 teaspoons honey (optional)
- ¾ cup cherry or grape tomatoes (halved)
- 4 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- salt and pepper
- Add the bacon to a cold skillet. Set over medium-low to medium heat. Cook the bacon until browned on both sides. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate. When cool, chop the bacon and set aside. Remove all but 2 teaspoons of the bacon drippings from the skillet.
- Slice the halloumi into ½ inch thick slices and then diagonally to form triangles. Season both sides with the citrus chili seasoning (optional).
- Add the halloumi to the skillet and cook for 3-4 minutes per side until browned. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Meanwhile, add the mayonnaise to a small bowl and add the juice of the lime. Stir to combine. Add 1-2 teaspoons of honey, if needed, to balance the acidity.
- Add the romaine, tomatoes, and bacon to a large bowl. Add half of the dressing and toss to combine. Portion the salad out between two plates. Top each salad with half of the halloumi, and drizzle with some of the extra lime mayo. Garnish with chives, if desired. Serve with extra dressing on the side.
Nutritional information is an estimate and will vary depending upon the exact amounts and specific ingredients used.