These festive Easter M&M Cookies are perfectly chewy and slightly crisp around the edges. With pastel-colored candies, these cookies are the perfect spring treat. Ideal for Easter, Mother's Day, or baby showers.
You will love these
These cookies are fun and festive. M&M cookies are the perfect sweet treat for any season or any occasion. They are loved by all. With pastel candies, these Easter M&M cookies are ideal for spring. You can easily customize these cookies for any occasion by swapping in different M&M varieties.
These cookies have a deliciously chewy texture. A combination of granulated sugar and brown sugar yields a soft and chewy cookie. Chilling the cookie dough also contributes to the chewy texture.
This recipe is made with traditional cookie ingredients - items that are likely in your pantry. A combination of granulated and light brown sugars provides a wonderful chewy texture. Both baking powder and baking soda are used to give the cookies lift. M&M candies are a fun addition and any seasonal variety can be used.
Tips for making
- Use room temperature butter and eggs to ensure the ingredients blend together evenly and uniformly.
- Chill the cookie dough. Chilling the dough controls spreading during baking. It also enhances the flavors and helps the cookies to brown. I usually bake the dough one day, refrigerate it overnight, and bake the cookies the next. If you don't want to wait overnight, you can chill the dough for 4 hours.
- Line the baking pans with parchment paper. Parchment helps to prevent the cookies from spreading and provides for easy clean-up. You can also use silicone baking mats.
- Press extra candies into the top of the cookies when they come out of the oven. This makes for a pretty cookie.
How to make
- Whisk the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt together in a mixing bowl. Set aside.
- Using a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment (or a hand-held mixer), cream together the butter and sugars until creamy and well combined.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing until well incorporated. Mix in the vanilla extract.
- Slowly add in the flour mixture, mixing until just combined. Fold in the M&M candies.
- Using a 2 tablespoon cookie scoop, portion the dough onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Chill the dough overnight (or at least 4 hours).
- Bake at 375 degrees for 9-11 minutes until lightly golden around the edges. The center may look slightly underdone.
- Press extra candies onto the top of the cookies. Cool the cookies on the sheet pan for 5 minutes before transferring them to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container for 4-5 days.
Unbaked - Portion the dough onto a parchment-lined sheet pan. Freeze for 20-30 minutes or until firm. Transfer the dough balls to a freezer-safe bag. Store for up to 3 months in the freezer. To bake, place frozen cookie dough on a parchment-lined sheet pan and bake according to directions. The cookies may need a few extra minutes of baking time.
Baked - Allow baked cookies to cool completely. Place on a sheet pan in a single layer and freeze until firm. Transfer to a freezer-safe bag or airtight container and freeze for up to one month. Simply thaw at room temperature and enjoy!
If you try this recipe, please leave a comment and rating below and tag me on Instagram @mycasualpantry so I can see your creation.
Easter M&M Cookies
- 2 ½ cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter 2 sticks, room temperature
- 1 cup white sugar
- ¾ cup light brown sugar lightly packed
- 2 eggs room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 10 ounces M&M candies plus extra for topping; Easter pastels or any variety
- In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Whisk to combine. Set aside.
- To the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment ( a hand-held mixer can also be used), add the butter and sugars. Cream together for 2-3 minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time, and the vanilla, mixing until well incorporated. Slowly add the flour mixture and blend until just incorporated. Stir in the M&M candies.
- Using a 2 tablespoon cookie scoop, portion the dough onto sheet pans lined with parchment paper. Chill overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Bake the cookies for 9-11 minutes until lightly brown around the edges. The cookies will appear slightly underdone in the middle. Immediately press extra M&M's on top of the cookies (if desired). Cool on the pan for 5 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container.
Author's note: This post was originally published in April 2019 and has been updated.