This Butternut Squash Flatbread is full of fall flavors with roasted butternut squash, fresh sage, bacon, and smoked mozzarella. A pre-made crust adds ease and convenience. This dish is a great way to use up leftover squash.
Why you will love this flatbread
If Fall was a pizza, it would be this roasted butternut squash flatbread. The combination of sweet roasted squash and herby fresh sage feels like a warm hug. Smoked mozzarella and bacon add a wonderful smoky flavor. This flatbread is just feel good food... and so delicious!
Pizza always starts with the crust, and I'm using store-bought flatbread in this recipe. If you are feeling ambitious, you can make your own pizza dough. You can also buy fresh dough at the supermarket or from your local pizzeria. Pre-made crusts or flatbreads are convenient, add ease, and work beautifully in this recipe. If you use fresh dough, it's best to pre-bake it before adding the toppings.
Roasted Butternut squash
Leftover roasted squash is perfect for this pizza. If you are roasting squash for this recipe, save the extra to add to salads, veggie tacos, or a frittata. Cleaned and cut squash can be found in the produce section of your local supermarket. It's a bit more expensive but adds convenience. Just toss the cubed squash with oil, season with salt and pepper, and roast at 450 degrees for 25 minutes or until golden brown and caramelized.
Assembling the flatbread
- Spread the ricotta over the crust
- Top with mozzarella cheese, squash, bacon, and sage.
- Bake until the cheese is melted and edges are brown and crisp
- Garnish with Parmesan, black pepper, and extra sage
Lunch or dinner: This butternut squash flatbread is perfect as a weekday meal - just add a green salad. You can also top the pizza with arugula for a fresh finish.
Brunch: Turn this flatbread into breakfast by topping with a sunny-side-up egg.
Other squash recipes you may enjoy
- Roasted Honeynut Squash with Cranberries, Pecans and Bacon
- Spaghetti Squash with Creamed Spinach and Pancetta
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Butternut Squash and Pancetta
- Butternut Squash Pasta with Sage Brown Butter
Butternut Squash Flatbread with Bacon and Sage
- 1 pre-baked pizza crust (or fresh dough for one crust (Note 1))
- ¼ cup ricotta cheese
- 1 ½ cups shredded smoked mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup roasted butternut squash (Note 2)
- 4 slices bacon (cooked and chopped)
- 5-6 fresh sage leaves
- shredded Parmesan cheese (for garnish)
- fresh ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- To assemble the pizza, spread the ricotta evenly over the crust. Top with 1 cup of the mozzarella cheese. Add the squash and bacon. Top with the remaining mozzarella cheese and 3-4 fresh sage leaves.
- Bake for 7-10 minutes until the cheese is melted and the crust is brown and crispy around the edges. Garnish with Parmesan cheese, black pepper, and remaining sage leaves.
- For fresh pizza dough, shape and pre-bake the crust at 450 degrees until lightly golden brown before assembling the pizza.
- To roast the squash: peel and scoop out the seeds and pulp. Cut the squash into ¾ - 1-inch cubes. Transfer to a baking sheet and toss with 2-3 teaspoons oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast at 450 degrees for 25 minutes or until tender and caramelized.
Nutritional information is an estimate and will vary depending upon the exact amounts and specific ingredients used.