Milky Way Blondies are classic cookie bars amped up with leftover Halloween candy. These chewy bars require just a handful of staple ingredients and couldn't be easier to make.
Why you will love these blondies
Blondies are a classic treat that everyone loves. They are easy to make and save time because the dough is baked in one pan. There's no need to stand at the oven baking pan after pan of cookies.
This Milky Way version is a great way to use up leftover Halloween candy. You can add in any candy bars you like. Use one or a variety. M&M's and chocolate chips can also be used.
You can whip up these bars quickly with common pantry ingredients. Then just add in your candy of choice and watch these bars disappear as quickly as they came together.
An extra egg yolk and brown sugar contribute to the chewy texture of these bars. Chocolate chips punch up the chocolate flavor. Caramel bits or chopped caramels can also be added.
- In a mixing bowl (or stand mixer), blend the butter and sugar together until light and creamy, about 2 minutes.
- Add the egg, egg yolk, and vanilla and blend until well combined.
- Slowly blend in the flour, baking soda, and salt. Mix until the flour is just incorporated.
- Stir in the chopped candy bars and chocolate chips.
- Spread the dough in a parchment paper-lined 8x8 baking dish.
- Bake until just set. The bars will look underdone in the middle but they will set as they cool.
Cool completely before removing from pan. Slice and store in an airtight container for 3-4 days.
Tips for making the best blondies
- Be careful not to overmix the dough. Mix in the flour until just combined to ensure the bars bake up tender and chewy.
- Don't overbake. The center will look slightly underdone, but it will set as the bars cool. If overbaked, the edges will become very dry.
- Cut into small squares. These bars are rich, so I like to cut them into 16 2x2-inch pieces.
Have leftover Halloween candy? Make a pan of these today!
Subscribe to My Casual Pantry to get the latest recipes and ideas sent directly to your inbox.
Milky Way Blondies
- ½ cup unsalted butter (softened to room temperature)
- 1 cup light brown sugar (lightly packed)
- 1 egg (room temperature)
- 1 egg yolk (room temperature)
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 13 fun-size Milky Way candy bars (divided and chopped (or any fun size candy bar))
- ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line an 8x8 baking pan with parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl (or stand mixer) combine the butter and brown sugar. Blend together until smooth and creamy. Add the egg, egg yolk, and vanilla extract. Mix until the eggs are well incorporated and the mixture is light and creamy.
- Add the flour, baking soda, and salt. Mix until the flour is just incorporated. Fold in the chocolate chips and 10 chopped fun size Milky Way bars. Spread the dough in the prepared pan. Top with the remaining chopped candy bars.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown and the center is just barely set. A cake tester inserted in the middle should come out with a few crumbs on it. The blondies will continue to set as they cool. Once cool, slice into 16 squares. Bars can be stored in an airtight container for 3-4 days at room temperature.
Nutritional information is an estimate and will vary depending upon the exact amounts and specific ingredients used.
This post was originally published in November 2018 and has been updated.