Cupcake Christmas Tree – this festive arrangement of cupcakes is fun for holiday parties or dessert buffets. Christmas light candies add to the whimsy of this holiday dessert!
O Christmas tree, o Christmas tree, how lovely are thy branches… (or cupcakes)!
Cupcakes are a family favorite in our house – usually preferred over cake. I especially love mini cupcakes because I can easily convince myself that it’s perfectly acceptable to eat two or three… or four – and not feel guilty about it.
This cupcake Christmas tree is so fun and festive. Arrange mini cupcakes in the shape of a tree with large cupcakes forming the trunk. Decorate the cupcakes with delicious buttercream and adorn with the cutest Christmas tree light candies. This cupcake tree is the perfect centerpiece for your holiday spread.
How to make a Cupcake Christmas Tree
- Cupcakes – I use 21 mini cupcakes and 2 large cupcakes to form the tree. This recipe yields 24 mini and 4 large cupcakes, so save the extras to snack on!
- Cupcake flavor – I made chocolate cupcakes for this recipe, but any flavor can be used. In a pinch, use a boxed cake mix.
- Buttercream frosting – Make buttercream frosting and tint some brown for the tree trunk and the rest green for the branches.
- Decorate the tree – I found the cutest Christmas light candies (like these) to adorn the mini cupcakes. Anything goes – use your imagination, get creative. Decorate the tree in any fashion.
- Serving platter – Arrange the cupcakes on a large platter or board. Sift powdered sugar over the top to add a freshly fallen snow effect. Use this cupcake Christmas tree as the centerpiece of your holiday table.
This cupcake Christmas tree may just be the most festive treat you make for the holidays… and the most delicious. The chocolate cupcakes are super moist and the buttercream is sweet and fluffy. With festive adornments, this cupcake arrangement will be the hit of any gathering.
If you add this to your holiday table, please leave me a comment below and tag me on Instagram @mycasualpantry. I love seeing your creations!
If you like this holiday treat, you may also enjoy these
Cupcake Christmas Tree
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup butter
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons whole milk
- green and brown food coloring gel
- Christmas tree light cake decorations
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line 24 miniature muffin tins and 4 large muffin tins with cupcake liners. Set aside.
- Sift the flour and sugar together. Set aside.
- Bring to a boil the oil, butter, cocoa powder, and water, stirring until smooth and combined.
- Add butter and cocoa mixture to the flour and sugar and stir until incorporated. Add buttermilk, baking soda, salt, vanilla, and the egg. Mix until fully combined.
- Using a tablespoon-sized cookie scoop, portion the batter between 24 miniature cupcake liners and 4 large cupcake liners filling 2/3 full. Bake mini cupcakes for 12 minutes and the large cupcakes for 18 minutes.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, add the butter and mix until smooth and creamy.
- Add the powdered sugar and mix until well combined and light and fluffy.
- Add the vanilla extract and milk. Mix until combined. Add more milk if needed to reach the desired spreading consistency.
- Remove 1/2 cup of frosting to a small bowl. Add 1 drop of brown food coloring gel and stir to incorporate. Adjust the color as desired. Set aside.
- To the remaining frosting, add 4-6 drops of green food coloring gel and mix to combine. Adjust color as desired.
- On a large platter, tray, or board, arrange 21 of the miniature cupcakes in the shape of a Christmas tree. Use 2 large cupcakes to form the trunk of the tree. Adorn some of the green cupcakes with the Christmas light cake decorations. Dust with powdered sugar. Serve.
- Any leftover frosting can be used the decorate the remaining cupcakes. Enjoy these as a snack!