Candy Cane Kiss Cookies – a soft sugar cookie infused with a touch of peppermint and topped with a candy cane Hershey kiss. The festive color and flavor combination is perfect for the holiday season.
Candy Cane Kiss Cookies are a fun festive twist on the popular peanut butter kiss cookies. Sugar cookie dough is rolled in red and white sugars and topped with a candy cane Hershey kiss. This peppermint version has a touch of whimsy and is a pretty addition to any cookie platter.
Tips for Making Candy Cane Kiss Cookies
- Eggs – this recipe calls for one egg and one egg yolk. The extra egg yolk gives the cookies a chewy texture.
- Chilling the dough – chilling the dough keeps the cookies from spreading when baked. Chilling cookie dough also gives time for the flavors to enhance.
- Chill time – The recipe calls for 30 minutes of chill time, but the dough can certainly be chilled overnight. [TIP] I like to set aside one day to make several batches of cookie dough and set aside the next day for baking.
- Sugar for rolling – roll the dough in granulated sugar or colored sugar. I like to use a combination – I roll some in all white sugar and some in a mixture of red and white.
- Cooling the cookies – Press a Hershey kiss into the top of each cookie as soon as they come out of the oven. Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet until the candy sets up. The warm cookie will start to soften the kiss and transferring the cookies to quickly to a cooking rack can cause the softened kiss to lose its shape.
This recipe is easy to make and rolling the dough in the sugar is a fun task for little helpers (or elves)! These cookies keep well in an airtight container, but trust me – they won’t last long. I hope you add these cookies to your holiday cookie platters. If you try this recipe, please leave a comment below and tag me on Instagram @mycasualpantry so I can see your creation.
More 12 Days of Christmas recipes
- Chocolate Chip Snowball Cookies (Day 1)
- Frosted Christmas M&M Cookie Bars (Day 2)
- Chocolate Pistachio Cookies (Day 3)
- 12 Days of Christmas Cookies – Recap
Candy Cane Kiss Cookies
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter softened at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 30 peppermint candy cane kisses
- granulated or colored sugar for rolling
- In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Whisk to combine. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream together the butter and granulated sugar until well combined. Mix in egg, egg yolk, and peppermint extract until well combined. Add the flour mixture and milk and mix until combined. Chill the dough for at least 30 minutes or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Using a tablespoon-size cookie scoop, form the dough into balls and roll in granulated or colored sugar. Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake 8 minutes until just set. Remove from the oven and press a peppermint kiss into the center of each cookie.
- Cool cookies until the peppermint kiss sets up. Store in an airtight container.