Gooey Rice Krispie treats get a festive upgrade with the addition of chocolate peppermint bark. The perfect no-bake treat!
Rice Krispie treats may be a throwback to my childhood, but there's nothing old-fashioned about the addition of chocolate peppermint bark!
It's rich and creamy, full of bright peppermint flavor, and perfectly indulgent.
Why you will love these
- Ultimate marshmallow-to-cereal ratio - The secret to the perfectly gooey Rice Krispie treat is increasing the amount of marshmallow and butter. This results in a soft, chewy, and gooey bar.
- Ghirardelli chocolate peppermint bark - This confection is totally addicting during the holidays... and we're adding a healthy dose!
- So easy and no-bake - These treats come together in minutes and are ideal for everything from last-minute guests to potlucks.
- Marshmallows - I love using miniature ones because they melt quickly.
- Peppermint bark - My favorite brand is Ghirardelli peppermint bark squares.
- Peppermint extract - Enhances the peppermint flavor. A little goes a long way.
Please see the recipe card for complete instructions and ingredient amounts.
- Prepare the pan. Spray with cooking spray and line with parchment paper, leaving some overhanging to lift out the bars. For thicker bars, use an 8x8 or 9x9 pan. For thinner bars, use a 9x13 pan.
- In a large, heavy pan, melt the butter over medium-low heat. (Image 1)
- Add the marshmallows, reserving some for folding in at the end. Stir until melted. (Image 2)
- Add the cereal and stir until the cereal is evenly coated. (Image 3)
- Stir in the reserved marshmallows and the chopped peppermint bark. Work quickly since the chocolate will start to melt. (Image 4)
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared pan and press evenly. Top with sprinkles if desired. Cool.
- Use a heavy pan. These pans retain heat well and help to keep the marshmallow mixture pliable while you are working with it.
- Keep the chopped chocolate bark in the freezer while preparing the marshmallow mixture. Cold chocolate won't melt quite as quickly when folding it into the cereal mixture.
- Store the bars in an airtight container at room temperature. Chilling the bars will dry them out.
Peppermint Bark Rice Krispie Treats
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 20 ounces miniature marshmallows (divided)
- 6 cups crispy rice cereal
- ½ teaspoon peppermint extract
- 24-30 peppermint bark squares (like Ghirardelli; 2 5.4 oz bags)
- Prepare the pan: Spray an 8x8 pan with baking spray, line it with parchment paper, and spray the paper. Set aside. (Note 1)
- Heat a large, heavy-bottomed pot over medium-low heat. Add the butter and heat until melted.
- Stir in the miniature marshmallows, reserving 1 cup to fold in later. Stir until completely melted. Then stir in the peppermint extract.
- Add the cereal and stir until it is evenly coated with the marshmallow mixture. Add the remaining marshmallows and chopped peppermint bark. Fold to incorporate, working quickly since the chocolate will start to melt. (Note 2)
- Transfer the cereal mixture to the prepared pan. Spray hands with baking spray and press the mixture evenly into the pan. Set aside to cool and set, approx. 60 minutes.
- Using the parchment paper, lift the bars out of the pan. Slice into squares. Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
- Use an 8x8 pan for thick bars. For thinner bars, use a 9x13 pan.
- Store the chopped peppermint bark in the freezer while preparing the cereal mixture. Keeping the chocolate cold will keep it from melting so quickly when added to the warm cereal mixture.
- Using a silicone spoon or spatula will reduce sticking with the marshmallow mixture.
Nutritional information is an estimate and will vary depending upon the exact amounts and specific ingredients used.