Chocolate Cupcakes with Salted Peanut Butter Frosting - moist chocolate cupcakes topped with a creamy peanut butter frosting. Deliciously rich!
For all the chocolate and peanut butter lovers out there, these cupcakes are for you! A super-moist chocolate cake is topped with a salted peanut butter frosting. Rich and so scrumptious.
These cupcakes were inspired by a super cute fall treat idea I saw on Pinterest. These cute treats look like acorns. These "acorns" are made using mini peanut butter sandwich cookies, chocolate kisses, and chocolate chips. So cute! I thought these acorns would be the perfect fall decoration for these cupcakes.
These cupcakes start with my chocolate sheet cake batter. The batter contains buttermilk, so the cake turns out very moist and tender. I baked half of the cupcakes in Halloween liners, like these, and the other half in tulip liners, like these. I really like the tulip liners because they keep the cupcakes from baking over if the batter is overfilled.
For the frosting, I made a peanut butter icing that I piped on the cupcakes with a star tip. I consider myself a novice when it comes to piping, so this decorating starter kit works perfectly for me.
Lastly, I topped each cupcake with a peanut butter chocolate acorn. These are super cute cupcakes for fall and any time is a good time for chocolate and peanut butter!
More chocolate-lover recipes
- Mocha Ice Cream Cake
- Chocolate Peppermint Cupcakes
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Tart
- Salted Chocolate Butterscotch Fudge
- Fudge-Filled Peanut Butter Bars
Chocolate Cupcakes with Salted Peanut Butter Frosting
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups sugar
- ½ cup canola oil
- 1 stick butter
- 1 cup water
- 4 tablespoons cocoa powder
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup butter, softened
- ½ cup creamy peanut butter
- 4 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 scant teaspoon salt
- 4-6 tablespoons heavy cream
Chocolate Peanut Butter Acorns
- 18 mini peanut butter sandwich cookies
- 18 chocolate kisses
- 18 semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ¼ cup chocolate melting wafers
Chocolate Peanut Butter Acorns
- Melt ¼ cup chocolate melting wafers, like these. Using a dollop of melted chocolate, stick a chocolate kiss to one side of the peanut butter cookie. Repeat with remaining cookies. Let the chocolate set.
- Using another dollop of the melted chocolate, stick a chocolate chip to the other side of the peanut butter cookie. Repeat with remaining cookies. Set aside to allow chocolate time to set.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Sift the flour and sugar together in a large mixing bowl and set aside.
- Combine oil, butter, water, and cocoa powder in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring to combine. Add to the flour/sugar and stir to fully combine. Add buttermilk, vanilla, baking soda, and salt. Stir to combine. Add in eggs and mix until fully combined.
- Spoon the batter into the cupcake liners. Fill ⅔ full with batter. Bake for 15 minutes until a cake tester comes out clean. Let cool before frosting.
- Add butter and peanut butter to the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a whisk attachment. Mix until well combined. Slowly add the sifted powdered sugar and salt. Add 4 tablespoons of the heavy cream and mix until well combined and creamy. Add remaining 2 tablespoons of cream, as needed, to achieve a light and fluffy consistency.
- Spoon the frosting into a pastry bag fitted with a star tip. Pipe frosting onto the cupcakes. Adorn the top with a chocolate peanut butter acorn.