Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole is a delicious blend of veggies, eggs, cheese, and bite-size hashbrowns.
What's better than a breakfast casserole? A breakfast casserole topped with TATER TOTS, of course! Tater tots are really just bite-size hashbrowns, so topping a breakfast casserole with them is perfectly legit! Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole is loaded with veggies, scrambled eggs, cheese, and adorned with tater tots. Perfect for a weekend breakfast, a teen sleepover, or a holiday brunch.
This casserole starts with mushrooms, onions, and red and green peppers. Start by sauteing the mushrooms until caramelized. Add to the baking dish and then saute the onion and peppers until slightly softened. Add the onions and peppers to the baking dish.
Next, whisk the eggs and cream and add to the skillet. Cook gently, slowly scrambling the eggs. Remove the eggs when they are still slightly wet. Since the casserole bakes in the oven, the eggs will set up a little more during baking. Layer the scrambled eggs on top of the veggies. Top the eggs with shredded cheese. Last, but certainly not least, top with the Tater Tots, laying them side by side to cover the top of the casserole. Bake at 425 degrees for 20-25 minutes until tots are warmed through and crispy on top.
This casserole can be made in a 9x9 baking dish or in individual ramekins. Bacon or sausage can be added for a heartier, meaty casserole. Great for breakfast, brunch, or breakfast-for-dinner.
Other delicious breakfast and brunch recipes you may enjoy are:
- Bacon Jalapeno Cheddar Quiche
- Sausage, Butternut, and Gruyere Quiche
- Sausage, Apple and Cheddar Quiche
Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole
- 8 ounces baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- ½ large onion, diced
- ½ large red bell pepper, diced
- ½ large green bell pepper, diced
- 8 eggs
- ⅓ cup heavy cream
- salt and black pepper
- 4 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
- ½ 32-oz package tater tots
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. In a large skillet over medium heat, add 2 tablespoons butter. Saute the sliced mushrooms until caramelized. Meanwhile, dice the onion and bell peppers. When mushrooms are browned on both sides, transfer to the baking dish or divide evenly among the ramekins.
- Next, saute the onions and peppers until slightly softened. Season with salt and black pepper. Transfer to the baking dish or divide evenly among the ramekins.
- Add the eggs and cream to a mixing bowl and season with salt and black pepper. Whisk well. Add a tablespoon of butter to the skillet set over medium-low heat. Gently scramble the eggs until slightly underdone. Layer the eggs on top of the veggies in the baking dish or the ramekins.
- Top the eggs with the shredded cheese. Next, layer the tater tots on top of the cheese, laying them end to end to cover the casserole or ramekins.
- Bake the casserole for 20-25 minutes until tater tots are crispy. For the ramekins, place the individual dishes on a sheet pan to bake. Serve and refrigerate any leftovers.