A preheated cast iron skillet is the key to the thick and perfectly crispy crust of this Sausage and Onion Pan Pizza.
We have a new favorite pizza in our house. Pizza Fridays just hit the jackpot with this pan pizza. Baked in a cast iron skillet, the crust is thick and crisp on the bottom. Hot Italian sausage and plenty of red onion is always a favorite combination.
I love making homemade pizza. I usually use a sheet pan, but this pizza is made in a cast iron skillet. The secret is preheating the skillet in the oven before building the pizza. The dough starts sizzling immediately when it hits the pan, and the preheated pan ensures a crispy crust.
Building a pan pizza
Both homemade and store-bought pizza dough works fine in this recipe. Use your favorite recipe or buy pizza dough from your local pizza shop or grocery store. Once the skillet is preheated, brush lightly with oil. Shape the dough to fit the skillet, being careful not to burn yourself on the hot pan.
Top the dough with your favorite pizza or marinara sauce and mozzarella cheese. Next top with the browned, crumbled sausage and slices of red onion. Top with a little more cheese and bake for 12-15 minutes until crust is golden and the cheese is brown and bubbly.
The crust is thicker than my sheet pan pizza recipes, but it is equally, if not more, delicious. The cast iron creates a crust that is crispy on the outside and slightly chewy on the inside.
This pizza earned rave reviews from my family. They claimed it was my best pizza yet. I think your family will love this pizza too!
Similar recipes you may enjoy
- Brussels Sprouts and Pancetta Pizza
- Prosciutto, Leek and Gruyere Pizza
- Taco Pizza
- Roasted Veggie and Pesto Pizza
Sausage and Onion Pan Pizza
- pizza dough (for 2 pizzas)
- 16 ounces Hot Italian sausage
- 6 - 8 tablespoons pizza sauce (or marinara sauce))
- 3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (divided)
- 4 - 5 thin slices red onion
- Preheat the oven to 500 degrees. Place a 12-inch cast iron skillet in the oven to preheat.
- In another skillet set over medium heat, brown the sausage until cooked through, breaking it apart as it cooks, approx. 5-7 minutes. Drain the sausage on a paper towel-lined plate. Set aside.
- Remove the preheated skillet from the oven. Lightly brush the inside of the skillet with oil. Shape the pizza dough to fit the skillet, being careful not to burn yourself on the hot skillet.
- Spread 3-4 tablespoons of sauce over the dough. Top with one cup of cheese, half of the sausage, half of the onion, and another ½ cup of cheese. Bake for 12-15 minutes until browned around the edges and cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Repeat with the second portion of pizza dough.
Nutritional information is an estimate and will vary depending upon the exact amounts and specific ingredients used.
"Simple recipe. Very tasty. The whole family loves it. Added pesto to one. Delish!
I'm glad your family loved the pizza. It's a favorite in our house!