Sausage, peppers, and onions are roasted together for a flavorful one-dish meal and are versatile enough as the base for several recipes.
I LOVE sausage and peppers. Sweet and spicy Italian sausages. Roasted peppers and onions. All combined - sweet, spicy, juicy, savory. Delicious! Sausage and Peppers are very versatile, and I'm going to highlight two ways to enjoy them.
Sheet pan meal
Sausage and peppers make for an ideal sheet pan dinner that is easy to prep and relatively short on cooking time. And one pan means a hassle-free clean-up. A no-brainer for simplifying weeknight meals.
- sweet Italian sausage
- hot/spicy Italian sausage
- red and green bell peppers
- yellow onion
- salt and pepper
These ingredients can be customized to fit your family's tastes. Use chicken or turkey sausage, or use only sweet or only spicy sausage. Any color bell pepper can be used and red onions are a great option too.
Tips for making
- Start with a hot sheet pan. Put the sheet pan in the oven while the oven preheats. The sausage and peppers will start to cook as soon as they hit the hot pan, and the hot pan also helps the food not to stick.
- Cut the peppers and onions into wedges about an inch thick. Arrange the sausage, one-half of the peppers, and onions on the sheet pan. Add minced garlic to the peppers and onions. Sprinkle everything with salt and pepper. Roast at 400 degrees for 25-30 minutes.
- Half-way through the cooking time, add the other half of the peppers to the pan. I like the different textures this provides - some of the peppers will be softer and some will still have a bite to them.
- Simply serve as is alongside a salad
- Serve with a side of roasted potatoes or over a bed of pasta
- Slice the sausage and serve fajita-style on a flour tortilla with all the toppings
- Serve sandwich style on a roll or bun topped with cheese or marinara sauce
Sausage and Peppers Rice Bowl
The sheet pan sausage and peppers also make a great base for a delicious rice bowl. Start with brown rice (or white if preferred) and top with sliced sausage, peppers, and onions. For garnishes, I like to use avocado, scallions, a few dashes of ponzu sauce and a squeeze of fresh lime. These rice bowls are packed with flavor and are very satisfying. For a meat-free option, omit the sausage and enjoy a veggie rice bowl.
Make a sheet pan of sausage and peppers and use it to make rice bowls for lunches throughout the week. A sheet pan of sausage and peppers provides a variety of dinner options. Quick, easy, and versatile, this is an ideal solution for weeknight mealtime.
Sheet Pan Sausage and Peppers
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage links
- 1 pound hot/spicy Italian sausage links
- 1 medium onion
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place the sheet pan in the oven while preheating.
- Cut the onion and peppers into one-inch thick slices. Remove sheet pan from oven and arrange sausages, onions, and ½ of the peppers on the pan. Top with garlic and salt and pepper.
- Roast for 12-15 minutes. Turn the sausages over and add the remaining ½ of the peppers to the pan and continue roasting for another 12-15 minutes or until sausages are cooked through.
Sausage and Peppers Rice Bowl
- ¾ cup brown rice, cooked
- 2 sausages, sliced (from sausage and peppers sheet pan)
- peppers and onions (from sausage and peppers sheet pan)
- ½ avocado, sliced
- Ponzu sauce, to taste
- juice of ½ a lime
- scallions, chopped, for garnish
- To a bowl, add rice and top with sausage, peppers and onions, and avocado. Drizzle with Ponzu sauce and lime juice. Top with scallions.