These sausage, peppers, and onions are a deliciously easy one pan plan. Serve as a hearty dish on their own or use as a base for many other dishes.
Why you will love this
Sausage and peppers are one of the easiest dishes to prepare. The oven does most of the work. Roasting gives the sausages a caramelized exterior and brings out the sweetness of the peppers and onions.
If you love these flavors, try my Sausage and Pepper Sliders. All the same flavors packed into a juicy, handheld burger.
Ingredients and substitutions
- Sweet or hot Italian sausage - Use a combination or substitute chicken or turkey sausage. Bratwurst or kielbasa can also be used.
- Bell peppers - I love using a colorful assortment, but any variety is fine. Add in poblanos for depth of flavor or jalapeños for extra spice.
- Onions - Red, sweet, and yellow varieties all work fine. Whole Cipollini onions are also a great option.
Please refer to the recipe card for complete instructions and ingredient amounts.
Sheet pan method
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Place a sheet pan in the oven to preheat while prepping the other ingredients.
TIP: Starting with a hot pan jumpstarts the cooking process and helps to prevent food from sticking.
- Transfer the peppers and onions to the preheated pan. Drizzle with oil and toss to coat. Top with minced garlic and season with salt and pepper. (Image 1)
- Arrange the sausage on the pan. Bake for 30 minutes. Flip the sausage and stir the veggies. (Image 2)
- Bake for another 15 minutes. Serve and enjoy! (Image 3 and 4)
Dutch oven method
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat a heavy oven-safe pan over medium heat. Add half of the oil to the pan and add the sausage. Cook 3-4 minutes per side until browned. (Image 5) Transfer to a plate. Set aside.
- Add the remaining oil to the pan. Add the peppers and onions and cook for 10-12 minutes until they start to brown. Add the garlic and season with salt and pepper. (Image 6)
- Transfer the sausages back to the pan. (Image 7)
- Cover and bake for one hour, stirring after 30 minutes. (Image 8) Serve.
TIP: Reserve some of the onions and peppers to add to the pot halfway through cooking. This will give the veggies some textural variety - some softer, some firmer.
- Serve with roasted potatoes or garlic bread.
- Slice the sausage, toss with marinara and serve over your favorite pasta.
- Serve in toasted buns and top with provolone cheese. Toast under the broiler to melt.
- Build a rice bowl or stuff a baked potato.
- Serve in a flour tortilla, fajita-style.
Remove the seeds from the peppers. Cut the peppers and onions into slices ¾-1 inch thick. Cutting thicker slices helps the veggies to retain some structure during the cooking process.
Individual portions heat well in the microwave. Slice the sausage into smaller pieces for faster heating. Alternatively, heat in a covered skillet over medium-low heat until warmed through.
Other sheet pan dishes
Subscribe to My Casual Pantry to get the latest recipes and ideas sent directly to your inbox.
Sausage, Peppers, and Onions (two methods)
- 1 pound sweet or hot Italian sausage links
- 3 bell peppers (assorted colors, seeded and cut into slices ¾-1 inch thick)
- 1 large red onion (cut into slices ¾-1 inch thick)
- ½ large sweet onion (cut into slices ¾-1 inch thick)
- 1 clove garlic (minced or sliced (Note 2))
- 1 tablespoon grapeseed oil (or similar)
- salt and black pepper (to taste)
Sheet pan method
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Place the sheet pan in the oven while preheating. (Note 3)
- Remove sheet pan from oven and arrange peppers and onions on the pan. Drizzle with the oil and toss to coat. Add garlic and season with salt and pepper.
- Arrange the sausage on the pan. Bake for 30 minutes. Flip the sausage over and stir the veggies. Bake for another 15 minutes. Serve.
Dutch oven method
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat a large oven-safe pan over medium heat. Add ½ tablespoon oil to the pan. Add the sausages and cook for 3-4 minutes per side until golden brown. Transfer the sausages to a plate. Set aside.
- Add the remaining ½ tablespoon oil to the pan. Add the peppers and onions. Cook for 10-12 minutes until the veggies start to caramelize.
- Add the garlic and top with the sausages. Cover and bake for 1 hour, stirring after 30 minutes. Serve.
- Total cook time for sheet pan method: 45 minutes. Dutch oven method: 1 hour 20 minutes.
- I like using minced garlic with the sheet pan method and sliced garlic for the Dutch oven method.
- Preheating the pan jumpstarts the cooking process and also prevents food from sticking.
Nutritional information is an estimate and will vary depending upon the exact amounts and specific ingredients used.
This post was originally published in January 2019 and has been updated.