Halloumi is a firm and brined cheese that is delicious pan-fried and topped with an avocado corn relish. Serve alongside a green salad or as an appetizer.
I have a confession to make. I LOVE cheese. Shouldn’t it be its own food group? Born and raised in Wisconsin, I’m a native cheesehead and I love all things cheese. I have fond childhood memories of going to the cheese factory to buy cheese. The aroma, the variety, the free samples! The cheese curds were the best!!
So, for a cheese-lover, nothing is better than a recipe centered on cheese. Halloumi is the star of this recipe. I love the texture and salty flavor and all these flavors work so well together.
What is Halloumi?
Halloumi cheese originates from Cyprus. It’s made from sheep’s and goat’s milk and sometimes cow’s milk. The cheese is brined which gives it a salty bite. Halloumi is a firm, semi-hard cheese that holds its shape when grilled or fried. The texture is slightly rubbery, but pleasantly so. The texture can be compared to mozzarella or feta.
Avocado corn relish is the perfect accompaniment to the salty Halloumi. The avocado is creamy, the corn is sweet and crisp, and the cilantro and lime juice are bright and fresh. This dish works perfectly as an appetizer or snack. I could justify this for breakfast too – just add a fried egg on top!
For this recipe, I pan-fried the halloumi in a non-stick skillet. Slice the halloumi into thick slices and add to a dry skillet. Cook over medium heat for 2-3 minutes per side until golden brown.
Meanwhile, mix up the relish. Add diced avocado, halved tomatoes, corn, and cilantro to a bowl. Add lime juice and salt and pepper to taste. Serve the halloumi with the relish spooned over the top.
If you haven’t had halloumi before, this pan-fried halloumi recipe is an easy and delicious way to try it. If you make this recipe, please leave a comment below and tag me on Instagram @mycasualpantry so I can see your creation.
Other cheesy recipes you may enjoy
- Roasted Mini Sweet Peppers with Goat Cheese
- Mini Cheese Balls with Fig and Prosciutto
- Easy Cucumber Canapes
- Everything Bagel Cheese Ball
- Easy Homemade Macaroni and Cheese
- Dorito Cheese Ball
Pan-Fried Halloumi with Avocado Corn Relish
- 8 ounces Halloumi cheese
- 1/2 cup corn
- 1/4 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 avocado, cubed
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- juice of 1/2 lime
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat a non-stick skillet over medium heat. Slice the halloumi into slabs 1/4-1/2 inch thick. Dry fry for 2-3 minutes per side until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, add the corn, tomatoes, avocado, and cilantro to a mixing bowl. Toss to combine. Add the lime juice and salt and pepper to taste. Toss to combine.
- Transfer the cheese to a plate and top with the relish.