Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream - infused with fresh mint, this homemade ice cream has a crisp, fresh taste and is studded with chocolate chips.
I love mint chocolate chip ice cream! It has always been a favorite of mine. I love this homemade version, which is infused with fresh mint. The fresh mint leaves a crisp, fresh taste. And anything studded with chocolate chips is a win.
Homemade ice cream
Start by adding half-and-half, 1 ½ cups heavy cream, and sugar to a saucepan set over medium-low heat.
Stir until sugar is dissolved and add the mint.
While the cream mixture is heating, the mint will infuse the cream with all of its minty freshness.
The egg yolks contribute to the creaminess and mouth feel of the ice cream. I use 2 yolks because I prefer the taste of a less "eggy" ice cream, yet still achieving creaminess. This can be a matter of preference. Feel free to try this recipe with additional egg yolks for a stronger custard flavor.
When the cream mixture is hot, slowly ladle some of the hot cream into the egg yolk mixture, whisking constantly. This tempers the egg yolks - no one wants scrambled eggs in their ice cream!
Then slowly add the tempered egg and cream mixture into the hot cream, whisking constantly. Cook over medium heat until slightly thickened. Be careful not to boil the cream.
Transfer to a heatproof bowl, straining to catch the mint leaves and any bits of egg yolk that didn't mix in completely.
Cover with plastic wrap, pressing the wrap down directly on top of the cream. Chill completely in the refrigerator.
Once chilled, churn in an ice cream machine until the mixture is the consistency of soft serve. This process takes about 40 minutes with my machine. Then, add in the chopped dark chocolate or chocolate chips.
Transfer the ice cream to a freezer-safe container and freeze until firm.
Homemade ice cream is a treat to have on hand, especially this mint chocolate chip version. Please leave a comment below and let me know if you enjoyed this recipe. You can also tag me on Instagram @mycasualpantry.
More ice cream recipes to try
Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
- 2 cups half and half
- 2 cups heavy cream, divided
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1 bunch fresh mint
- 2 egg yolks
- ⅓ cup chopped chocolate or chocolate chips
- Add half and half, 1 ½ cups heavy cream, sugar and fresh mint to a saucepan. Start heating over medium-low heat.
- Stir until sugar is dissolved and allow the mint to infuse the cream mixture while the mixture heats.
- Meanwhile, whisk egg yolks into the remaining ½ cup heavy cream.
- When the cream mixture is hot, ladle some of the hot cream into the egg yolk mixture, whisking constantly.
- Slowly add the egg yolk mixture to the hot cream mixture stirring constantly.
- Heat over medium heat until slightly thickened. Be careful not to boil the cream.
- Using a mesh strainer, strain the mixture into a heatproof bowl.
- Cover with plastic wrap, pressing the wrap down directly on top of the cream.
- Refrigerate until completely cool.
- Churn in an ice cream machine until mixture resembles the consistency of soft serve.
- Mix in chopped chocolate or chocolate chips.
- Transfer to a freezer-safe container and freeze until firm.