This baked lemon butter shrimp is an easy skillet dish ready in just 20 minutes. Serve with bread, pasta, rice, or salad for a complete meal.
If you are looking for a quick and easy dish that is big on flavor, this baked lemon butter shrimp is for you.
Why this recipe is so good
- Flavor - Lemon, butter, and capers are a flavorful trifecta.
- Quick prep - This dish comes together with just a handful of ingredients.
- Short cook time - The shrimp bakes in just 10-12 minutes.
- Texture - Toasted panko adds crunch to the finished dish.
Be sure to try my BBQ bacon-wrapped shrimp - perfect as an appetizer or a main dish!
- Shrimp - Larger-sized shrimp work best. I recommend 16-20 count per pound or 21-25 count per pound. Anything smaller can overcook too easily. Both fresh and frozen can be used.
- Lemon - Using both the zest and the lemon adds lots of bright freshness.
- Capers - Add a delicious briny taste for a piccata vibe.
- Breadcrumbs - I prefer panko - the larger flakes enhance the crunch.
See the recipe card for complete instructions and ingredient amounts.
- Season the shrimp with salt and pepper. (Image 1)
- Arrange in an oven-safe skillet or casserole dish and top with the lemon, butter, and capers. (Image 2)
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until the shrimp is opaque and pink. (Image 3)
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a skillet. Add the breadcrumbs and cook until toasty brown. (Image 4)
- Remove from the heat and add the lemon zest and parsley. (Images 5 and 6)
- Top the shrimp with the breadcrumbs.
Both fresh and frozen shrimp can be used. If using frozen, thaw and drain completely before proceeding with this recipe.
To save time at home, I prefer buying shrimp that has been deveined. You can choose peeled or unpeeled. Use 16-20 count (or 21-25 count shrimp) for this recipe. That means 16-20 shrimp per pound.
This recipe calls for baking the shrimp in the oven. The oven cooks the shrimp evenly which keeps them plump and juicy without overcooking. Use larger-sized shrimp for the best results.
Lemon Butter Baked Shrimp with Capers
- 1 pound raw shrimp (16-20 count or 21-25 count, deveined and peeled)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 lemon (zested then sliced)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter (cut into small pieces)
- 1½ tablespoons capers (drained)
- ¼ cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley
- lemon zest
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Season the shrimp on both sides with salt and pepper. Add the olive oil to the baking dish and arrange the shrimp in the dish.
- Top the shrimp with lemon slices, butter, and capers. Reserve the lemon zest for the breadcrumb mixture.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the shrimp is opaque and pink.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon of butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add the breadcrumbs and stir to combine. Cook for 2-4 minutes until the breadcrumbs are toasted and lightly brown. Remove from heat and stir in the lemon zest and parsley.
- When the shrimp is done, garnish with the breadcrumbs and serve.
- Both fresh and frozen shrimp can be used. If using frozen, thaw and drain completely before proceeding with this recipe.
- To save time at home, I prefer buying shrimp that has been deveined. You can choose peeled or unpeeled.
Nutritional information is an estimate and will vary depending upon the exact amounts and specific ingredients used.