This crave-worthy dip is loaded with ultimate onion flavor. It's creamy and cool and is a must-make for any appetizer spread.
- Sour cream and mayo create the perfect creamy base.
- Red and sweet onions, shallots, scallions, and chives are all readily available year-round.
- Worcestershire sauce and garlic powder round out the flavors.
- White pepper is great in light-colored dips because it blends in. Black pepper can certainly be used as well.
See the recipe card for complete instructions and ingredient amounts.
- Heat a grill pan over medium heat and brush the sweet and red onions and scallions with oil.
- Grill the onions on both sides until brown and slightly charred and tender. An outdoor grill can also be used.
- Chop the grilled onions into small pieces. Add to a mixing bowl with sour cream, mayo, shallots, seasonings, and Worcestershire sauce.
- Stir together. Add the chopped chives and stir again.
- Transfer the mixture to a serving bowl and garnish with more chives.
- Serve with chips or your favorite fresh veggies.
>Crackers, crostini, and pretzels are great for dipping. Potato chips like a sturdy kettle-cooked variety will hold up well.
>Veggies, such as carrot and celery sticks, cucumbers, bell pepper slices, and broccoli or cauliflower florets are all great options.
>Onion dip is also delicious on top of a burger. Skip the ketchup or mayo, and spread on bold onion flavor!
If you are lucky enough to have leftovers, onion dip will keep for 4-5 days stored in an airtight container.
Subscribe to My Casual Pantry to get the latest recipes and ideas sent directly to your inbox.
Grilled Five Onion Dip
- 3 slices (½-inch thick) sweet onion
- 3 slices (½-inch thick) red onion
- 3 scallions
- oil (for grilling onions)
- ¼ cup minced shallot (approx. 1 shallot)
- 2 tablespoons minced chives (plus more for garnishing)
- 1 ½ cups sour cream
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ½ tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon white pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Heat a stove-top grill pan over medium heat. Brush the sweet and red onion slices and scallions with oil. Add to the grill pan.
- Grill until brown and slightly charred and tender, approx. 20 minutes. Chop into small pieces.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the onions, shallots, sour cream, mayo, Worcestershire, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Add the chives and stir to combine.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and garnish with more chopped chives.
- Yields 2 ½ cups.
- Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 4-5 days.
Nutritional information is an estimate and will vary depending upon the exact amounts and specific ingredients used.