Frosted Nutella Rice Krispie Treats are a twist on one of my childhood favorites. Chocolate-hazelnut spread is added to both the marshmallow mixture and the frosting, making these treats doubly delicious.
Rice Krispie bars are a nostalgic treat from my childhood. They were a staple in my lunchbox and were frequently contributed to bake sales. So, I thought it was only fitting to add a new twist to this classic sweet treat.
Frosted Nutella Rice Krispie Treats
The most important part of a Rice Krispie treat is the marshmallow-to-cereal ratio. I like my cereal treats chewy and gooey. In my opinion, the recipe on the back of the cereal box doesn’t contain enough marshmallows and results in a dry cereal bar. So, the first thing I did was increase the marshmallow-to-cereal ratio.
Secondly, I added chocolate-hazelnut spread to the marshmallow mixture. It’s a game-changer! Not only is chocolate-hazelnut spread out-of-this-world delicious, but it adds to the extra chewy and gooey consistency I was going for.
But I didn’t stop there. I had this crazy idea to add frosting to these cereal treats. As if they weren’t quite sweet enough already. HA! So, in keeping with my theme, I whipped up a batch of chocolate-hazelnut buttercream frosting. This frosting takes these treats over the top. They are CRAZY good! Rich and indulgent, these will definitely leave a sweet impression.
Tips for making Rice Krispie Treats
These no-bake treats are so easy to make – you can quickly prepare a batch and can be enjoying them in no time. Following a few tips will make preparing these treats a breeze.
- Always grease the baking dish. The marshmallow mixture is sticky and you don’t want all of this deliciousness stuck in the bottom of the pan.
- Set out and measure all of the ingredients ahead of time. The melted marshmallow mixture starts to set up quickly, so you will want to work quickly when adding the cereal and spreading in the baking dish.
- Use wet fingers to press the cereal mixture into an even layer. Wet fingers are the best tool for working with the sticky cereal mixture. If your fingers are wet, the mixture will not stick to them.
- Use room temperature butter for the frosting. Room temperature butter is necessary to achieve a smooth buttercream. Make sure the butter and chocolate-hazelnut spread are well combined before adding the powdered sugar.
- Store in an airtight container. These treats keep beautifully for 7 days if stored in an airtight container.
If your family loves Rice Krispie treats, you will want to make this version. The addition of chocolate-hazelnut spread makes these treats irresistible. If you try this recipe, please leave me a comment below and tag me on Instagram @mycasualpantry so I can see your sweet creation.
More sweet treats to try
- Salted Chocolate Butterscotch Fudge
- Chocolate Caramel Saltine Toffee
- Molasses Cookies and Cinnamon Ice Cream Sandwiches
Chocolate-hazelnut spread is added to both the cereal mixture as well as the frosting, making these cereal treats doubly delicious.
- 7 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup chocolate-hazelnut spread (like Nutella)
- 6 cups miniature marshmallows
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 cups crispy rice cereal (like Rice Krispies)
- 1 cup butter softened
- 3/4 cup chocolate-hazelnut spread (like Nutella)
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons whole milk or heavy cream
Grease a 9x12 baking dish. Set aside.
In a large heavy-bottomed pot set over medium-low heat, add the butter, chocolate-hazelnut spread, and marshmallows. Stir until the mixture is completely melted and smooth. Stir in the vanilla extract.
Add the cereal and stir to coat completely, working quickly. Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish. Use wet hands to press the mixture into an even layer. Set aside to firm up.
In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, add the softened butter and chocolate-hazelnut spread. Mix until smooth and well-combined.
Add the powdered sugar in batches and mix slowly at first until incorporated. Turn up the speed and mix until fluffy. Add the vanilla and the milk (or cream) and mix until smooth and spreadable. Add enough milk to achieve the desired consistency.
Spread the frosting evenly over the top of the Rice Krispie treats. Slice into larger bars (18-count) or smaller bars (24-count). Store in an airtight container. The bars will keep for 7 days.