Frosted Lemon Lime Shortbread is a buttery cookie infused with lemon and lime zest and topped with a citrus cream cheese frosting. A decadently sweet treat and the perfect pairing to a cup of coffee.
Shortbread cookies are a classic. Simple and unadorned with only a few ingredients. But simple isn’t boring. Shortbread is so buttery and delicious. The perfect accompaniment to a cup of coffee.
Frosted Lemon Lime Shortbread
My version of this classic includes a few additional ingredients, which only enhances the rich buttery flavor.
- Cream cheese – I replaced a small amount of the butter with cream cheese, which gives the cookies their tender texture.
- Lemon and lime zest – I love the flavor punch of citrus, and the addition of zest pairs beautifully with the rich buttery dough.
- Frosting – The addition of frosting provides another layer of flavor. This frosting is infused with lemon and lime juice which pumps up the citrus note.
Tips for making shortbread
- Use room temperature butter and cream cheese. The ingredients will blend together more thoroughly.
- When adding the flour, only mix long enough to incorporate. Overmixing will result in a tough dough.
- Add the zest at the end, mixing until just combined.
- Bake the shortbread in a tart pan or springform pan (like this or this). The outer part of the pan is removable which makes it much easier to slice the shortbread into clean, even slices.
I frosted this shortbread with a mixture of butter, cream cheese, powdered sugar, and lemon and lime juice. The cream cheese adds a tang to the frosting and helps it to not be overly sweet. The lemon and lime juice gives the frosting its spreadable consistency but also adds another punch of citrus flavor.
Shortbread is easy to make and the frosting mixes up quickly. Allow time for the shortbread to cool before frosting. Then, allow the frosted shortbread to chill. This step will help achieve cleaner slices.
I hope you try this decadent treat. Please leave a comment below and tag me on Instagram @mycasualpantry so I can see your creation.
Other Cookie Recipes you may also enjoy
A rich buttery cookie infused with lemon and lime zest and topped with a citrus cream cheese frosting.
- 12 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups flour
- pinch of salt
- 2 limes, zested
- 2 lemons, zested
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Prepare the baking pan. In a 9-inch round tart pan, cover the bottom with a piece of parchment and spray with cooking spray to ensure the shortbread doesn't stick. Set aside.
In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the butter, cream cheese, and sugar. Cream together until incorporated and smooth. Add the flour and salt. Mix until the mixture just comes together. Add in the lemon and lime zest and mix until just incorporated.
Scrap the dough into the tart pan. Press the dough into an even layer covering the bottom of the pan. Bake for 23-25 minutes until golden brown around the edges. Remove from oven and let cool completely, approx. 1 hour.
In a mixing bowl, add the butter and cream cheese. Blend until well combined. Add the powdered sugar and beat until combined and smooth. Add the lemon and lime juice and beat until smooth and spreadable.
Using an offset spatula, spread the frosting over the shortbread in an even layer. Refrigerate to allow the frosting to set up, approx 1 hour. This will make it easier to cut clean slices.
Once chilled, remove the sides of the tart pan. Using a sharp knife or pizza cutter rocker blade, slice the shortbread into 12 even slices. Garnish with lemon and lime segments if desired.
Store in an airtight container on the counter for 1-2 days or in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.