Homemade Strawberry Lemonade – the most refreshing summer drink made with fresh berries and freshly squeezed lemon juice. Perfect for picnics, cookouts, or hot summer afternoons.
Nothing says summer more than a glass of cold lemonade. With freshly squeezed lemon juice, homemade is so much better than store-bought. The sweet and tart combination is so refreshing.
Strawberry lemonade is my favorite, so I’m sharing this easy recipe that is full of fresh fruit.
Ingredients in homemade strawberry lemonade
- fresh lemons – freshly squeezed lemon juice is the key to the freshest tasting lemonade.
- strawberries – puree fresh berries for wonderful strawberry flavor and sweetness – and pretty pink color!
- simple syrup – a simple blend of water and sugar, the syrup adds sweetness to balance the tartness of the lemon juice.
- water – the amount of water can be adjusted to suit your personal taste. Simple syrup is equal parts sugar and water that is heated until the sugar dissolves. This syrup adds sweetness without the grainy texture that adding sugar alone can have.
How to make fresh lemonade
- Start by making the simple syrup. Simple syrup adds sweetness. Heat equal parts of sugar and water until the sugar melts. Dissolving the sugar with this method prevents the gritty texture that adding sugar alone can have. Cool and chill the syrup.
- Next, make the strawberry puree. Add the trimmed strawberries to a blender with a little water. Puree until smooth. You can strain this mixture, but that is optional.
- Juice the lemons. I like using an electric juicer for this, but a hand-held juicer works just fine too. You will need 10-12 lemons so it’s a good arm workout!
- Add the lemon juice, strawberry puree, simple syrup, and water to a large pitcher or drink dispenser. You can adjust the tartness and sweetness by adding more or less water.
Tips and FAQ’s
- Can I use frozen strawberries? Yes, just thaw first then blend until smooth.
- Can I add ice to the lemonade? Yes. If you wish to add ice and serve immediately, reduce the water to 5 cups and add 2-3 handfuls of ice. If you wish to chill the lemonade before serving, use the full 6 cups of water.
- Make the simple syrup ahead of time so that it has time to chill before making the lemonade. It’s best to wait and juice the lemons and puree the strawberries when you’re ready to make the lemonade for optimal freshness.
- Infuse the simple syrup with fresh mint or vanilla bean. These flavors are delicious in strawberry lemonade. Just add the mint or vanilla bean to the sugar mixture as it heats then let it steep while the mixture cools. Strain the syrup before adding to the lemonade.
- Reserve the extra simple syrup. Use it in cocktails, add to unsweetened ice tea, or spoon over fresh fruit.
Fresh homemade strawberry lemonade is the perfect thirst quencher on a hot summer day. The sweetness of the strawberries and tartness of the fresh lemon juice is so refreshing.
Thanks for sharing
If you make this recipe, please leave a comment and rating below. Share a picture on Instagram tagging me @mycasualpantry and using hashtag #mycasualpantry.
More fruit-filled recipes to try
- Watermelon and Feta Salad with Jalapeno Lime Syrup
- Berry Fruit Salad with Mint Syrup
- Mango Pineapple Salsa
- Grilled Peaches with Goat Cheese and Mint Thyme Honey
Fresh Homemade Strawberry Lemonade
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 16 ounces strawberries fresh preferred
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 cups freshly squeezed lemon juice approx. 10-12 lemons
- 6 cups water
- strawberries, lemon, and mint leaves for garnish
- In a small saucepan, combine the sugar and the water. Heat slowly over low heat until the sugar is fully dissolved. Let cool and chill. NOTE: this yields approx. 3 cups of syrup.
- Remove the green leafy top (the hull) from the strawberries. Cut the strawberries in half or quarters and add to the pitcher of a blender. Add 1/4 cup water and puree until smooth. Straining the mixture is optional. Set aside.
- Juice the lemons, being careful not to get any seeds in the juice. Set aside.
- In a large pitcher or beverage dispenser, combine the strawberry puree, lemon juice, 2 cups of the simple syrup, and the water. Stir to combine. NOTE: If serving immediately and adding ice, reduce water to 5 cups.
- Garnish with sliced lemons and strawberries and fresh mint leaves.