Fettuccine Alfredo with Mushrooms - this indulgent creamy pasta dish is loaded with caramelized mushrooms. Elegant enough for guests yet easy enough for a weeknight meal. This satisfying dish is perfect as a meatless main course.
Fettuccine Alfredo is a classic. Perfectly indulgent for the pasta lover - rich, creamy, and cheesy. Certainly delicious on its own, but even better with caramelized mushrooms.
I love the aroma of fresh mushrooms sauteing in butter with fresh thyme. Delicious! Buttery mushrooms and creamy pasta is a match made in heaven. This dish is elegant yet so easy to prepare.
- fettuccine pasta
- heavy cream
- cream cheese
- parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper
- mushrooms such as shiitake and baby Bellas
- Be patient - allow time for mushrooms to brown and become caramelized. The caramelization adds so much flavor and great color too! A wide-bottomed pan has more surface area to help the mushrooms caramelize faster.
- Salt the pasta water. Salted pasta water seasons the pasta itself.
- Cook the pasta slightly less than al dente. The pasta will continue to cook when added to the sauce.
- Reserve some pasta water before draining. Pasta water helps the sauce come together and will also thin out the sauce if the cream gets too thick.
- For the purist, simply omit the mushrooms and serve as classic fettuccine alfredo.
- Add chicken or shrimp for a hearty option.
- Add in other vegetables like broccoli, asparagus, or peas to make pasta primavera.
- Serve this dish as a meatless entree or as a side dish for chicken or beef.
This recipe is easy enough for a weeknight meal and elegant enough for guests. With plenty of serving options, this dish will please everyone.
More pasta recipes
- Brussels Sprouts Pasta with Pancetta and Lemon
- Spinach and Artichoke Pasta
- Mushroom Ravioli with Sage Butter
- Cheese Ravioli Sausage Bake
- Orecchiette with Sausage and Kale
- Bucatini Cacio e Pepe
Fettuccine Alfredo with Mushrooms
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter ((1 stick))
- 16 ounces baby portobello mushrooms (sliced)
- 7 ounces shiitake mushrooms (sliced)
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 1 pound fettuccine
- 2 teaspoons salt (to season pasta water)
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese (grated)
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper (or to taste)
- ⅛ teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- Preheat a large, deep skillet over medium - medium-high heat. Add the butter. When melted, add the sliced mushrooms, stirring to coat them with the butter. Add the fresh thyme and a pinch of pepper.
- Saute, stirring occasionally, until brown and caramelized. This can take 15-20 minutes depending on the size of the pan.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add 2 teaspoons of salt and the fettuccine. Cook for one minute less than al dente as noted on package directions. Reserve 1 cup of pasta water before draining pasta. (Do not rinse pasta).
- While the pasta cooks, when the mushrooms are caramelized, reduce the heat to medium. Add the heavy cream and the cream cheese. Stir until the cream cheese is melted and the cream has thickened slightly. Add the parmesan cheese and season with salt and pepper.
- Add the pasta to the sauce and stir to combine. Add pasta water as necessary to bring the sauce together to fully coat the pasta and thin out the cream if needed.
- Garnish with extra thyme and serve.
Nutritional information is an estimate and will vary depending upon the exact amounts and specific ingredients used.