Easy Streusel Coffee Cake is perfect for Christmas morning or a weekend breakfast. Layers of streusel topping transform a boxed cake mix into a delicious coffee cake.
Things can get very hectic at this time of year. Calendars get overloaded – parties, shopping days, guests, holiday baking – and the list goes on and on. So it’s nice to have a quick and easy go-to recipe that can lighten the load. My Easy Streusel Coffee Cake is just that recipe. This cake comes together in no time – thanks to a shortcut ingredient – boxed cake mix. And, the addition of homemade streusel topping transforms this box mix into a delicious coffee cake.
This Streusel Coffee Cake is the perfect breakfast for Christmas morning. This recipe doesn’t take long to prep and can be served warm or at room temperature. It’s ideal for snacking throughout the morning. This coffee cake is also a delicious addition to a holiday brunch buffet.
Making Streusel Coffee Cake
For my coffee cake, I started by making the streusel. Using a pastry cutter, blend together butter, granulated and brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, and clove. Set aside and prepare the cake mix according to package directions. I used a yellow cake mix. Next, I layered half of the batter in an 8×8 cake pan (like this one) followed by half of the streusel topping. I then repeated with the remaining half of the batter and the rest of the streusel topping. I used a smaller size pan so the cake would bake up taller. A thick slice of cake with two layers of streusel! Just delicious!
I love using parchment paper in cake pans for a non-stick result. These parchment liners are my favorite. These fit 8×8 pans – perfect for this recipe – and they have tabs to assist with lifting the cake out of the pan. There’s nothing worse than spending time making and baking a cake only to have it stuck in the pan!
Bake the cake at 325 for 45 minutes or until a toothpick poked in the middle of the cake comes out clean. Eat warm or serve at room temperature. This streusel coffee cake is delicious both ways. Grab a cup of coffee and enjoy!
Easy Streusel Coffee Cake
- 1/2 cup butter, cold and cubed
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, lightly packed
- 2/3 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 yellow boxed cake mix
- 1 cup water (per cake mix directions)
- 3 eggs (per cake mix directions)
- 1/3 cup butter, softened (per cake mix directions)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- For the streusel topping, in a mixing bowl, add cubed butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar, and flour. Using a pastry cutter, cut the butter into the sugars and flour until coarse crumbs form. Stir in cinnamon and cloves. Set aside.
- Mix the cake mix batter according to the package directions.
- Line an 8x8 cake pan with parchment paper. Add half of the cake batter to the pan. Top with half of the streusel topping. Repeat layers, using the remaining half of the cake batter and topping with the remaining streusel topping. Bake for 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean. Serve warm or at room temperature.