Easy Homemade Tomato Soup with San Marzano tomatoes, red pepper, onions, tomato pesto, and fresh herbs is full of flavor and simple to prepare.
My earliest memories of tomato soup are from my kindergarten days. My mom often served me the soup from the red-labeled can before I headed off to my half-day of school. She always topped the soup with a pat of butter. Not the healthiest certainly, but I loved the rich flavor as it melted into the soup.
These days tomato soup is still a favorite of mine, but I am definitely partial to the homemade variety. It’s easy to make so I can enjoy this comfort food anytime.
Ingredients in Tomato Soup
- Onions – saute until translucent. Provides base flavor.
- Tomatoes – I prefer using canned San Marzano tomatoes. They have the best flavor.
- Red pepper – adds some sweetness to help offset the acidity in the tomatoes. Alternatively, a diced carrot can be added for similar sweetness.
- Sun-dried tomato pesto – adds intense tomato flavor along with plenty of herby seasoning. Tomato paste can be substituted.
- Sugar – add to taste to balance out the acidity of the tomatoes.
- Fresh herbs – I like adding thyme and basil for added freshness.
Serving tomato soup
This is where the fun starts! There are so many ways to serve and garnish tomato soup. These are just some of my favorites.
- Classic grilled cheese – always a great pairing and comforting too.
- Croutons – adds texture. Homemade and store-bought are both fine.
- Garlic-herb spreadable cheese (like Boursin) – a dollop of this cheese adds flavor and lends a creaminess as it melts into the soup. So delicious and reminds me of the pat of butter from my childhood.
- Tortilla strips – adds texture and flavor.
- Basil (or herb) oil – a drizzle of herby oil adds a punch of fresh flavor.
- Oyster crackers – always a favorite topping for any soup.
Soup doesn’t have a season for me. I enjoy it all year long, and I think this recipe is perfect for any season. If you try this I hope it becomes a family favorite. If you make this recipe please leave a comment below and tag me on Instagram @mycasualpantry so I can see what you are cooking up in your kitchen.
Other recipes you may also enjoy
Easy and delicious, homemade tomato soup is a comforting lunch any time of the year.
- 1/2 large yellow onion diced
- 1-2 tablespoons oil or butter
- 56 ounces San Marzano tomatoes (2 28-oz cans)
- 1/2 red bell pepper diced
- 2 tablespoons sun-dried tomato pesto
- 2 teaspoons fresh basil chopped
- 1-2 teaspoons fresh thyme chopped
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
In a heavy-bottomed pot set over medium heat, saute the onions in the oil or butter until translucent, approx. 3-5 minutes.
Add the red pepper, tomatoes, and pesto. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Stir in fresh herbs. Using an immersion blender, puree the soup until it reaches the desired consistency. Alternatively, transfer the tomato mixture to a blender in small batches. Add back to the pan.
Add sugar to taste to balance the acidity of the tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Garnish as desired and serve.