Easy Baked Chicken Parmesan - an easy, oven-baked version of a classic. Breaded chicken breasts are baked and topped with sauce and mozzarella cheese. Serve with a side of buttered pasta.
This baked chicken parmesan is one of our family favorites. It's satisfying and full of flavor, but also quick and easy. It's baked, not fried, which keeps it lighter. I like to serve the chicken with buttered pasta. Angel hair pasta is usually my go-to, but this time I used medium shells because that's what I had in my pantry.
Start by prepping the breading for the chicken. In one bowl, add cornstarch and season with black pepper. Add buttermilk to another bowl. In a third bowl, combine seasoned breadcrumbs, panko, parmesan cheese, and oregano.
Coat each chicken breast with cornstarch, shaking off the excess. Next, dip the chicken in the buttermilk and then coat with the breadcrumb/panko mixture. Transfer the chicken to a parchment-lined baking sheet.
Baked the chicken at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes until the chicken temperature was 165 degrees.
While the chicken bakes, cook and drain the pasta, and toss with butter.
Next, top each chicken breast with a spoonful of marinara sauce and mozzarella cheese. Both fresh mozzarella slices and shredded mozzarella work fine. Use what you have on hand.
Pop the chicken back in the oven to melt the cheese. Then, serve with buttered pasta on the side. Delicious!
More chicken recipes to try
- Easy Grilled Chicken
- Easy Baked Pizza Chicken
- Cap’n Crunch Chicken Tenders
- Sheet Pan Lemon Rosemary Chicken
- Sheet Pan Bacon Ranch Chicken
Easy Baked Chicken Parmesan
- ½ cup cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ⅔ cup buttermilk
- ½ cup seasoned breadcrumbs
- ½ cup panko
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- marinara sauce
- mozzarella cheese
- 12 ounces angel hair pasta
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- For chicken coating, combine cornstarch and black pepper in a bowl. Add buttermilk to another bowl. In a third bowl, combine breadcrumbs, panko, parmesan cheese, and oregano.
- Coat each chicken breast with cornstarch, shaking off the excess.
- Dip chicken in the buttermilk and coat with the breadcrumb/panko mixture.
- Place chicken on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until the chicken temperature reads 165 degrees on an instant-read thermometer.
- While the chicken bakes, cook the pasta according to package directions. Drain and toss with butter.
- When chicken is fully cooked, top each chicken breast with a spoonful of marinara sauce and mozzarella cheese. Put back in oven until cheese is melted.
- Serve chicken with buttered pasta.