Use up leftover chicken in this creamy chicken with mashed potatoes. Filled with veggies, this satisfying meal will be on the table in less than an hour.
Mashed potatoes and gravy are classic comfort food. Toss in chicken and veggies for a complete meal the whole family is sure to love.
Why you will love this
- Simple ingredients - This hearty dish comes together with pantry/fridge staples.
- Easy prep - Great way to use up leftover chicken or turkey - or use rotisserie chicken.
- Make-ahead potatoes - Mashed potatoes can be made ahead of time to simplify meal prep at dinner time.
Creamy chicken and vegetables
- Chicken - Leftover or rotisserie chicken adds ease to this recipe. Leftover turkey also works great.
- Chicken broth is thickened with a roux as the base for the gravy. No cream is required. Vegetable broth can also be used.
- Dried herbs - Rosemary and thyme pair well with chicken. Sage, tarragon, and oregano are also good options.
- Potatoes - Russet or Yukon Gold are the best for mashing.
- Cream cheese is my secret go-to ingredient for the creamiest, most silky mashed potatoes.
- Heavy cream adds a wonderful richness. Whole milk or half-and-half can be substituted.
See the recipe card for complete instructions and ingredient amounts.
- Peel and dice the potatoes. Add to salted water, bring to a boil, and simmer until fork-tender. Drain.
- While the potatoes cook, warm the cream and butter in a small pan.
- Use a potato ricer to break down the potatoes. (Image 1)
- Add the warm cream mixture and the cream cheese to the potatoes. (Image 2)
- Stir to combine. The softened cream cheese will melt into the hot potatoes.
- Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
Creamy chicken and vegetables
- Heat a large pan over medium heat. Add the butter to melt. Then add the carrots and onions. (Image 3)
- Cook, stirring occasionally, for 10-12 minutes until the veggies have softened. Stir in herbs and salt and pepper. (Image 4)
- Add the flour and stir to incorporate. Cook for 1 minute to cook out the raw flour taste. (Images 5 and 6)
- Slowly stir in the chicken broth and cook for 3-5 minutes until thickened. (Image 7)
- Stir in the cubed chicken. Taste and adjust salt and pepper as needed. (Image 8)
- Serve with mashed potatoes.
- Spoon the potatoes over the chicken mixture and bake Shepherd's Pie style.
- Serve chicken and veggies over rice or quinoa in place of potatoes.
- Serve with a garden salad and green beans for a complete meal.
Mashed potatoes can be topped with a variety of textures and flavors - try bacon, cheese, chives, sour cream, caramelized onions, crispy onion strings, pulled pork, or blackened shrimp.
Add flavor to plain mashed potatoes by stirring in shredded cheese, ranch dressing mix, caramelized onions or shallots, roasted garlic, or herby cheese spread like Boursin.
Creamy Chicken over Mashed Potatoes
- 2½ pounds russet potatoes
- ¾ cup heavy cream (plus extra as needed)
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 ounces cream cheese (softened and cut into small cubes)
- salt and black pepper
Chicken and vegetables
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1½ cups diced carrots
- 1½ cups diced yellow onions
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon dried rosemary
- ¼ teaspoon Kosher salt (plus more as needed)
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper (plus more as needed)
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 cups diced cooked chicken
- Peel potatoes and cut into one-inch cubes. Add to a heavy pot with cold, salted water and bring to a boil. Cook until fork-tender, approx. 10-12 minutes. Drain.
- Meanwhile, add the cream and butter to a small saucepan set over low heat. Warm the cream until the butter is melted.
- Using a potato ricer, rice the potatoes in batches into the pot that you cooked the potatoes in. When all the potatoes have been riced, pour the warm cream and butter mixture over the potatoes. Add the cream cheese and stir to incorporate. Additional cream can be added if needed. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Preheat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the butter to melt. Then, add the onions and carrots. Cook for 10-12 minutes until the veggies have softened. Stir in the thyme, rosemary, salt, and pepper.
- Sprinkle the flour over the veggies and stir to incorporate. Cook for 1 minute.
- Slowly add the chicken broth, stirring constantly. Cook for a few minutes while the gravy thickens.
- Stir in the diced chicken. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
- Serve over mashed potatoes.
- Drain the potatoes thoroughly so excess water doesn't get into the mashed potatoes.
- A potato ricer creates mashed potatoes with a light and creamy texture. Alternatively, a potato masher can be used.
- These potatoes reheat beautifully, so they can be made 1-2 days in advance to ease prep at dinner time.
Nutritional information is an estimate and will vary depending upon the exact amounts and specific ingredients used.