A light, slightly creamy soup of corn, andouille sausage, and gnocchi seasoned with smoked paprika. A comforting meal on a cold winter day.
The word "chowder" conjures up feelings of warmth and comfort to me. A satisfying meal in a bowl. With below-freezing temperatures lately, chowder - or soup in general - definitely hits the spot.
I really wanted to call this recipe "Corn and Andouille Chowder" since corn, onions, and potatoes (gnocchi in this case) are classic chowder ingredients. But chowder also implies a thick, cream-based soup, which this is not. Instead, this has a lighter base of chicken broth, not the heavier milk or cream base typical of chowders. Don't get me wrong - a little cream does find it's way into this soup at the end...just to add a touch of creamy richness. But regardless of what I call it, this soup is every bit comforting and satisfying and flavorful!
This recipe starts with onions and andouille. I like chicken andouille sausage because it is flavorful but less fatty than pork varieties and doesn't leave the soup feeling oily.
Gnocchi plays the role of potatoes in this recipe. I have been rather obsessed with gnocchi lately and I love their pillowy texture. If you prefer potatoes, go ahead and used them instead.
For the corn, either fresh or frozen works fine. If corn is in season, grilling the ears of corn first would add great flavor. To season the soup, I add smoked paprika, which I think compliments the andouille very nicely. If you are not familiar with smoked paprika, I suggest adding half of the amount initially and then tasting. Add more if desired.
Before serving, add a splash or two (or three - I won't tell!) of heavy cream. Garnish with cilantro or parsley, if desired.
Similar recipes you may also enjoy:
- Loaded Potato Gnocchi Soup
- White Bean, Kale and Sausage Soup with Parmesan Crisps
- Gnocchi with Brussels Sprouts and Sage Brown Butter
Corn and Andouille Soup with Gnocchi and Smoked Paprika
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 chicken andouille sausages, sliced in ½-inch pieces
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup frozen or prepackaged gnocchi
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- cilantro for garnish
- In a heavy bottom saucepan set over medium heat, saute onion and sausage until onion is translucent and sausage is slightly brown. Add chicken broth and bring to a gentle simmer. Add in corn and gnocchi and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add smoked paprika, starting with ¼ teaspoon and adding more as needed to taste. Season with salt and pepper and add in cream. Stir and serve, garnished with cilantro.