I love chorizo - it packs a big flavor punch. This braided bread is delicious stuffed with chorizo, poblano peppers, and cheese. This recipe is easy to make, looks fancy, and makes a great appetizer or snack.
Start by roasting a poblano pepper in a 400-degree oven until blistered on all sides. Let cool, remove the seeds, and chop into small pieces.
While the poblano is roasting, brown the chorizo in a skillet, breaking the meat into pieces. Cook thoroughly. Add some diced onion and saute with the chorizo for a few minutes. Drain the chorizo on a paper towel-lined plate.
Shape pizza dough into a rectangle on a baking sheet. Spoon the chorizo/onion mixture down the center third of the dough, lengthwise. Top the meat with the diced poblanos and cheese.
Using kitchen shears, cut slits about 1-inch apart in the dough on each side of the filling, cutting from the outer edge towards the filling.
Then, overlap the strips of dough on top of the bread, alternating each side, like a braid.
Bake the bread at 420 degrees for approx. 20 minutes or until golden brown. Slice and enjoy!
Chorizo-Stuffed Braided Bread
- 1 poblano pepper
- 1 pound chorizo sausage
- ½ small onion, diced
- 4 ounces pepper jack or monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 4 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
- pizza dough for one pizza
- Roast poblano pepper in a 400-degree oven until blistered on all sides. Cool and remove seeds. Chop and set aside.
- Cook chorizo in a skillet, breaking the meat into pieces. Cook thoroughly. Add in diced onion and saute until onion is translucent. Drain on a paper towel-lined plate.
- Shape pizza dough into a rectangle on a sheet pan that has been lightly brushed with oil.
- Spread chorizo mixture down the center third of the dough, lengthwise. Spoon poblanos over meat and top with shredded cheese.
- Cut strips, about 1-inch wide, in the dough, cutting from the outer edge towards the center. Pull the strips over the top of the dough, alternating from side to side, overlapping like a braid.
- Bake the bread at 420 degrees for 20 minutes or until golden brown and cheese is melted.