Chocolate Malt Ball Ice Cream - a rich ice cream infused with chocolate malt flavor and studded with crushed malt balls.
The flavor of chocolate malt brings me back to my childhood. I remember going to the lunch counter at Woolworth's after dance lessons to enjoy a chocolate malt. (Wow, I've really dated myself with that comment!!) It was always a special treat, so I re-created that memory in this ice cream.
Making chocolate malt ball ice cream
Start by adding half-and-half and 1 ½ cups of heavy cream to a saucepan. Start heating over medium heat. Add sugar and stir until sugar is dissolved.
Next, add chocolate malt powder and cocoa powder.
Whisk until the malt powder and cocoa are dissolved. Don't worry if there are some bits that don't fully dissolve. They will get strained out later.
Meanwhile, whisk 2 eggs yolks into the remaining ½ cup heavy cream. (Save the egg whites for an omelet or frittata.)
When the cream mixture is hot, slowly ladle some of the hot cream into the egg yolk mixture, whisking constantly. This tempers the egg yolks - no one wants scrambled eggs in their ice cream! Then slowly add the tempered egg and cream mixture into the hot cream, whisking constantly.
Cook over medium heat until slightly thickened. Be careful not to boil the cream.
Transfer to a heatproof bowl, straining to catch any bits of egg yolk that didn't mix in completely.
Cover with plastic wrap, pressing the wrap down directly on top of the cream.
Chill completely in the refrigerator.
Once chilled, churn in an ice cream machine until the mixture is the consistency of soft serve. This process takes about 40 minutes with my machine.
Crush up the malted milk balls and add to the ice cream mixture.
Transfer the ice cream to a freezer-safe container and freeze until firm.
Scoop and enjoy!
More ice cream recipes to try
- Double Reese’s Peanut Butter Ice Cream
- Double Mint Oreo Ice Cream
- Toffee Coffee Ice Cream
- Molasses Cookies and Cinnamon Ice Cream Sandwiches
- Triple Mint Ice Cream
Chocolate Malt Ball Ice Cream
- 2 cups half and half
- 2 cups heavy cream (divided)
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons chocolate malt powder
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 large egg yolks
- ⅔ cup chocolate malted milk balls (crushed)
- Add half and half, 1 ½ cups heavy cream and sugar to a saucepan.
- Start heating slowly over medium heat, stirring to dissolve sugar.
- Stir in chocolate malt powder and cocoa powder until dissolved.
- Continue heating and stirring gently.
- While the cream mixture is heating, whisk egg yolks into the remaining ½ cup heavy cream.
- When the cream mixture is hot, ladle some hot cream into the egg yolk mixture, whisking constantly.
- Slowly add egg yolk mixture to hot cream mixture stirring constantly.
- Heat over medium heat until slightly thickened. Be careful not to boil the cream.
- Using a mesh strainer, strain the mixture into a heatproof bowl.
- Cover with plastic wrap, pressing the wrap down directly on top of the cream.
- Refrigerate until completely cool.
- Churn in an ice cream machine until the mixture resembles the consistency of soft serve.
- Crush the chocolate malted milk balls and add to the ice cream mixture.
- Transfer to a freezer-safe container and freeze until firm.
Nutritional information is an estimate and will vary depending upon the exact amounts and specific ingredients used.