Chocolate Cookies and Cream Ice Cream is a blend of two favorites. Deep, rich chocolate ice cream loaded with crushed double-stuffed Oreos.
Today is an ice cream kind of day - hot and humid - the kind of day when a cold, creamy treat hits the spot. But don't let me fool you! My ice cream cravings run rampant all year long - not just on hot summer days. In fact, I make homemade ice cream almost every week. It's a family dessert favorite.
This recipe is a mash-up of two favorite flavors - chocolate and cookies and cream. Why choose when you can have both! This ice cream is rich, creamy, and full of crushed Oreo sandwich cookies. I used the double-stuffed variety for extra creamy goodness. For chocolate overload, use Oreos with dark chocolate filling. This time, I passed on the double chocolate Oreos, but next time I might just pull out all the stops!
This ice cream starts with the same base I always use when I make ice cream - half-and-half, heavy cream, sugar, and egg yolks. The rich chocolate flavor comes from two types of chocolate: dark chocolate - 60% cacao baking chocolate - and cocoa powder.
Chocolate Cookies and Cream Ice Cream will not disappoint - especially for chocolate lovers, like me. The chocolate flavor is deep and rich. Oreos - well, need I say more! The combination is ice cream heaven!
If you try this recipe, thank you! Please leave a comment below and tag me on Instagram @mycasualpantry so I can see your creation.
- Double Mint Oreo Ice Cream
- Vanilla Bean Ice Cream
- Chocolate Peppermint Stick Ice Cream
- Cookies and Cream Ice Cream
- Triple Mint Ice Cream
- Toffee Coffee Ice Cream
- Salted Caramel Ice Cream with Chocolate Covered Peanuts (Vanilla with caramel swirls)
Chocolate Cookies and Cream Ice Cream
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream, divided
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 2 ounces dark baking chocolate, like 60% cacao Ghiradelli bar
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 10 double-stuffed Oreo cookies crushed
- In a medium saucepan placed over medium heat, add the half-and-half and 1 ½ cups of the heavy cream. Add sugar and salt and whisk until dissolved. Add the chocolate and cocoa powder, whisking occasionally until the chocolate is melted and cocoa powder is fully incorporated.
- While the cream mixture heats, add 2 egg yolks to the remaining ½ cup of heavy cream, whisking to combine. When the cream is hot, slowly ladle some of the hot cream into the cream and egg yolks, whisking continuously. This tempers the eggs.
- Then slowly pour the egg yolk mixture into the hot cream mixture, while whisking. Cook over medium-low heat until slightly thickened, being careful not to boil the cream mixture.
- Strain the mixture into a heat-proof bowl. Stir in the vanilla extract. Cover with plastic wrap, pressing the plastic wrap directly on top of the cream mixture. Refrigerate until completely chilled.
- Transfer to an ice cream machine and churn until the mixture is the consistency of soft serve. Transfer to a freezer-safe container. Fold in cookies crumbs. Freeze until firm, approximately 3-4 hours.