Chicken with Cordon Bleu Sauce - an easy twist on the classic. Sauteed chicken breasts are served with swiss cheese and ham cream sauce. Add a side of mashed potatoes for a comfort food win.
Chicken Cordon Bleu has always been a favorite of mine... especially if served with a creamy white sauce. I'm a big fan of sauces and gravy. Anything served with sauce cascading over the top is a winner in my book. And there's nothing better than soaking up all that delicious sauce with mashed potatoes or a piece of bread... but enough about my indulgences.
As much as I love Chicken Cordon Bleu, I don't always feel like pounding and stuffing the chicken breasts, setting up a breading station, etc. So I created this recipe which has all of the familiar ingredients and flavors - chicken, ham, swiss cheese - but with a simpler preparation.
Preparing Chicken with Cordon Bleu Sauce
Start with the chicken breasts. Cut the larger chicken breasts in half, crosswise, to help them cook faster. Saute the chicken in a skillet until golden brown on both sides. Remove and set aside.
To the skillet, add the heavy cream and let it reduce for 1-2 minutes. Whisk in the cheese and when melted, add in the chopped ham. Add the chicken back to the skillet and transfer to the oven to allow the chicken to cook through completely. Serve with mashed potatoes (rice is a great option too) - after all, it's a shame to waste any of the delicious cheesy sauce!
This dish is easy enough for weeknight meals but is also special enough to serve when entertaining. If you try this recipe, please leave a comment below and tag me on Instagram @mycasualpantry so I can see your creation.
Other recipes you may enjoy
- Grilled Balsamic Chicken with Blue Cheese Sauce
- Sheet Pan Lemon Rosemary Chicken
- Sheet Pan Bacon Ranch Chicken
- Barbecue Chicken Nachos
- Grilled Chicken Caprese Salad
- Chicken Pesto Meatballs with Roasted Red Pepper Sauce
- Easy Grilled Chicken
- Walnut Crusted Chicken with Chipotle Honey
Chicken with Cordon Bleu Sauce
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- ⅔ cup shredded Gruyere cheese
- 4 slices Canadian bacon (or ½ cup diced ham)
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Season the chicken breasts with salt and black pepper on each side. Cut larger breasts in half, crosswise, to help the chicken cook faster.
- In a skillet set over medium to medium-high heat, add the olive oil and the chicken breasts. Cook for 2-3 minutes per side until browned. Remove the chicken to a plate and set aside.
- Add the cream to the skillet and cook for 1-2 minutes until slightly thickened. Add in the shredded Gruyere and stir until the cheese is completely melted. Add in the Canadian bacon and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add the chicken back to the skillet and transfer to the oven for 8-10 minutes, until the internal temperature of the chicken is 165 degrees and the sauce is bubbling. Garnish with parsley or chives and serve with mashed potatoes or rice.
- Remake3-4 minutes per side medium to medium high heat8-11 min oven