Chicken Parmesan Soup – Tomato soup, chicken sausage, and tortellini bring the flavors of chicken parmesan to a comforting soup.
Chicken Parmesan is a classic dish full of flavors that I love: tender, flavorful chicken, the gooey cheese, pasta, and a delicious sauce. My Chicken Parmesan Soup brings these flavors to a comforting soup.
This recipe starts with homemade tomato soup. Combine crushed tomatoes with onions and fresh thyme and add carrots and red pepper for a touch of sweetness. Chicken sausage and cheese tortellini bring heartiness to this soup.
Tips for making chicken parmesan soup
- I prefer the texture of chicken sausage in this soup and I used a garlic cheese variety. I brown and crumble the sausage, but sliced cooked sausage would be fine too. Diced or shredded cooked chicken can also be used, if preferred.
- I like using fire-roasted tomatoes for enhanced flavor.
- Carrots and red pepper lend some sweetness to offset the acidity of the tomatoes.
- Be cautious when blending hot mixtures. I remove the center part of the blender lid to allow the steam to escape but make sure to cover with a towel to prevent splatter.
- For a smooth consistency, puree completely. For a chunky soup, pulse until desired consistency is reached.
- I prefer thicker tomato soups, but additional chicken stock can be added if a thinner consistency is desired.
- Add a touch of cream for richness.
- Delicious served with garlic bread.
Chicken parmesan soup makes a hearty lunch or a tasty dinner that comes together quickly. Warm, comforting soup is ideal after a winter storm and freezing temperatures!
Other soup recipes you may enjoy:
- Loaded Potato Gnocchi Soup
- Corn and Andouille Soup with Gnocchi and Smoked Paprika
- White Bean, Kale, and Sausage Soup
Tomato soup, tortellini, and chicken sausage bring the flavors of chicken parmesan to a comforting soup.
- 16 ounces chicken sausage
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1/2 large red pepper, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 28 ounces crushed fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- salt, to taste
- 1 teaspoon sugar, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 12 ounces cheese tortellini
- shaved parmesan, for garnish
- fresh basil, for garnish
In a heavy-bottom pan over medium heat, saute chicken sausage until cooked throughout, breaking into crumbles as it cooks. Remove to a paper towel-lined plate.
To the pan, add the diced carrots, onion, and red pepper. Saute for 2-3 minutes. Add in chicken broth and tomatoes, scraping the bottom of the pan to release the brown bits from the sausage. Add thyme, salt, and pepper. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes until veggies are tender.
Meanwhile, cook tortellini according to package directions. Set aside.
Transfer tomato mixture to a blender and puree until smooth, or until desired consistency. Add sugar, Worcestershire, salt, and pepper to taste. Blend to combine. Pour back into the saucepan. If a thinner consistency is desired, add more chicken broth.
Stir in sausage and tortellini and heat through. Ladle into bowls and garnish with parmesan shavings and basil.