Brats in a Blanket - a grown-up version of a favorite childhood snack. Serve these puff pastry-wrapped bratwurst with a spicy horseradish sauce. Enjoy as a main dish, appetizer, or game day grub.
With only two ingredients, these brats are quick, easy, and are reminiscent of a favorite childhood snack. I love to serve these with horseradish sour cream that is also made with just two ingredients. Serve these brats as a casual lunch or dinner, or slice and serve with toothpicks as an appetizer.
These brats are wrapped with puff pastry which is a great freezer staple to keep on hand.
- smoked brats - use fully cooked brats. Uncooked brats are usually larger and may not cook completely in the time needed to bake the puff pastry.
- frozen puff pastry
- sour cream
- prepared horseradish
Wrap the brats in a blanket
I wrapped the brats with strips of braided puff pastry. While this is presentation is fun, you can also wrap the brats with the dough in any fashion.
To make the braided puff pastry:
- Cut one sheet of puff pastry into 18 even strips. I used Johnsonville brats which are sold 6 per package; thus you need 18 strips of dough.
- Take three strips of dough and braid them together. Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining strips of dough.
- Chill the pastry for 20-30 minutes. If the dough gets too warm, the braided effect gets lost when the dough is wrapped around the brats.
- Wrap each brat with a strip of braided dough. Place back on the baking sheet.
- Brush the pastry with egg wash and sprinkle with black sesame seeds. Everything bagel seasoning is delicious too!
- Bake until golden brown. Serve with horseradish sauce - a blend of sour cream and prepared horseradish.
With only two ingredients, this recipe is perfect for those nights when you want to get dinner on the table fast. These brats are also great served as an appetizer. Cut each brat into 3 or 4 pieces and serve with toothpicks. Perfect for family game night!
Brats in a Blanket
- 12 ounces smoked beef brats (like Johnsonville)
- 1 sheet puff pastry thawed
- 1 egg (for egg wash)
- black sesame seeds (or everything bagel seasoning) for garnish
- ½ cup sour cream
- 4-5 teaspoons prepared horseradish
- pinch salt
- pinch white pepper
- Unroll the sheet of puff pastry. Cut it lengthwise into 18 strips (about ½ inch wide).
- Take 3 strips and braid them together. Repeat with the remaining strips of pastry. When finished, you will have 6 braids of pastry. Transfer the braided pastry to a parchment-lined baking sheet. Chill for 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the sour cream, horseradish, salt, and pepper. Stir together. Note: Add the horseradish to taste. Start with 1 or 2 teaspoons and increase the amount as desired.
- To assemble the brats in a blanket, dry off the brats with a paper towel. Wrap each brat with a piece of braided puff pastry. Transfer back to the parchment-lined sheet pan.
- Brush the puff pastry with an egg wash (1 egg whisked together with 1 tablespoon of water). Sprinkle with black sesame seeds or everything bagel seasoning, if desired.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown.
Nutritional information is an estimate and will vary depending upon the exact amounts and specific ingredients used.