Blue Cheese-Stuffed Buffalo Chicken Meatballs – easy, delicious, and loaded with all of your favorite buffalo chicken flavors. Perfect as a game-day snack.
Perfect game-day meatballs
Last week I shared a recipe for Buffalo Cheese Dip – no chicken, just lots of cheesy, creamy goodness. And I assured you that I didn’t have anything against chicken, that I love buffalo chicken, but that I simply enjoyed a smooth and creamy buffalo dip.
So, today I bring you the chicken – Buffalo Chicken Meatballs. These aren’t your ordinary chicken meatballs. The ground chicken is seasoned with buffalo sauce and scallions and then stuffed with creamy blue cheese. After baking, the meatballs are tossed in a scrumptious buffalo sauce and garnished with more scallions and blue cheese crumbles.
Tips for making Meatballs
- Portioning the chicken mixture – use a tablespoon size scoop to portion the ground chicken mixture into 16-18 equal portions. This yields meatballs that are the perfect snack size – one or two bites.
- Stuffing the meatballs – form the blue cheese into 16-18 small balls (approx. 1/4-3/8 teaspoon in size). Make an indent in the meatball for the cheese and shape the chicken around the cheese to cover it.
- Freeze time – freeze the meatballs before baking. This serves two purposes: it helps the meatballs keep their shape while baking. Also, it prevents the blue cheese from melting and oozing out of the meatball during baking. Don’t skip this step.
Dare I say these meatballs are the best buffalo chicken meatballs! Yes, I dare. They are tender and juicy and have an unexpected pocket of melty blue cheese in the center. The sauce is spicy with a touch of sweetness. Everything I love about buffalo chicken wrapped up in a two-bite meatball (one bite if you love them as much as I do).
Grab a fork or some toothpicks and serve these up for the big game on Sunday. Trust me – you will want these meatballs on your snack table. Making a double batch is highly recommended. If you try this recipe, please leave a comment below and tag me on Instagram @mycasualpantry.
More appetizer and snack recipes
- Maple Dijon Bacon Wrapped Smoked Sausage
- Barbecue Chicken Nachos
- Bacon and Blue Loaded Cheese Fries
- Hot Corn Dip
- Everything Bagel Cheese Ball
- Cap’n Crunch Chicken Tenders
Blue Cheese-Stuffed Buffalo Chicken Meatballs
- 2 ounces blue cheese plus extra for garnish
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1/4 cup buffalo wing sauce
- 2 scallions chopped, plus extra for garnish
- 1/2 cup buffalo wing sauce
- 2 tablespoons dark or light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Divide the blue cheese into 16-18 pieces, about 1/4 teaspoon each, and roll into balls. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the ground chicken, 1/4 cup of buffalo wing sauce, and the chopped scallions. Mix to incorporate.
- Using a tablespoon-sized scoop, portion the mixture in 16-18 balls. Make a hole in the middle of each ball and press a ball of blue cheese into the center and shape the chicken mixture around the cheese. Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Freeze for one hour.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Bake the meatballs for 15-20 minutes until their internal temperature reaches 165 degrees.
- Meanwhile, combine the buffalo sauce, brown sugar, and butter in a small saucepan. Heat over low heat until the butter is melted and the sugar is dissolved.
- Toss the cooked meatballs in the sauce. Garnish with blue cheese crumbles and chopped scallions. Serve with forks or toothpicks.