Black-Eyed Pea Salad – a hearty salad of corn, black-eyed peas, bacon, red onion, avocado, and plenty of cilantro. Finished with a lime and dijon vinaigrette, this salad is ideal as weekday lunch or as a side dish at dinner.
I love salads like this one. Salads that are loaded with so many delicious ingredients. Salads that make a hearty lunch but are versatile enough as a side dish at dinner.
Quick and easy to prepare, this salad combines fresh ingredients with some pantry staples.
- black-eyed peas, canned
- corn, fresh or frozen
- red onion
- lime juice, oil, dijon mustard, garlic > for vinaigrette
Tips for making this salad
- If using frozen corn, saute the corn in a little bit of butter to caramelize. Alternatively, whole ears of fresh corn can be charred on the grill. Caramelizing or grilling enhances the flavor and adds color.
- Rinse and drain the black-eyed peas before adding to the salad.
- I prefer thick cut bacon, but any variety will work. For a meat-free salad, omit the bacon.
- I like adding red onion for its crunch and bite, and I like the pop of color it provides. Scallions would be fine, too.
- Avocado adds a creamy texture. Toss the cubed avocado in lime juice before adding to the salad to help keep the bright green color.
- Cilantro provides a big punch of freshness. If you aren’t a fan of cilantro, parsley can be substituted.
- The lime and dijon vinaigrette brings all the flavors together.
This salad is perfect for a hearty lunch but is also versatile as a side dish. Pair with chicken, steak, burgers, or pork.
If you enjoy this recipe, you may also like Corn and Black Bean Salad with Avocado and Cilantro.
This quick and easy to prepare salad makes a great weekday lunch or a versatile side dish for dinner.
- 2 15-ounce cans, black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 10 ounces frozen corn or 1 1/2 cups fresh corn kernels
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 8 slices bacon, cooked and chopped
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 1 avocado, cubed
- 1 cup cilantro, chopped
- juice of 1/2 lime, to toss with avocado
- 4 tablespoons grapeseed oil or similar
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- juice of one lime (approx. 2 tablespoons)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- salt to taste
If using frozen corn, add to a skillet over medium heat with one tablespoon butter. Saute until caramelized. For fresh corn, grill the ears until charred. Slice kernels off the cobb.
In a mixing bowl, combine the peas, corn, red onion and bacon. Set aside. In a small bowl, add the cubed avocado and toss with the juice of 1/2 a lime. Add the avocado and cilantro to the salad. Toss gently.
To a mason jar, add the oil, dijon mustard, garlic, and juice of one lime. Shake to emulsify. Add black pepper and salt to taste. Mix. Pour over salad and toss to coat.