Turkey burgers with caramelized onions are infused with barbecue sauce for extra flavor. Top these burgers with Pepper Jack cheese and more caramelized onions. The perfect summer grilling dinner.
We eat a lot of turkey burgers in my family. Don’t get me wrong….we love a good, juicy, fatty beef burger, but in the spirit of moderation and balance, turkey burgers have become more of a staple for us. This recipe has definitely become a family favorite in our house.
Ground turkey by itself can be dry and lacking in flavor. So, I like to add ingredients to my turkey burgers that pack a flavor punch and keep them moist and juicy at the same time.
- caramelized onions
- barbecue sauce
- Pepper jack cheese
- sliced avocado (optional)
This BBQ-Onion Turkey burger is loaded with caramelized onions and barbecue sauce. Topped with pepper jack cheese and more caramelized onions, there is a lot of flavor going on here. I like layering on sliced avocado for the perfect burger bite. Grab a toasted bun and your favorite toppings and try this burger today! Delicious!
More burger recipes to try
BBQ-Onion Turkey Burgers
- 20.9 ounces ground turkey (1 package)
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup barbecue sauce
- 1 splash Worcestershire sauce
- 4 hamburger buns
- 4 slices pepper jack cheese
- avocado sliced
- To caramelize the onions, heat a skillet over medium heat. Add a drizzle of oil and the thinly sliced onions and saute until completely golden brown, stirring occasionally. Chop the caramelized onions, setting aside approx. 1/4 to use on the top of the cooked burgers.
- In a mixing bowl, add the ground turkey, barbecue sauce, chopped onions, and a splash of Worcestershire sauce. Mix to combine. Form into 4 patties.
- Grill over medium heat until the burgers reach 165 degrees on an instant-read thermometer. Top with cheese and a spoonful of caramelized onions. While the cheese melts, lightly toast the buns on the grill.