These Barbecue Chicken Sliders are a deliciously easy dinner the whole family will love. Ideal for make-ahead and feeding a crowd.
This barbecue chicken slider casserole features shredded chicken tossed in tangy barbecue sauce and piled on top of cheddar cheese.
But it's really the toppings that make this sandwich awesome. Pickled onions cut through the richness of the BBQ sauce and crispy french-fried onions add crunch. A drizzle of ranch dressing provides the creamy sauce vibe that every sandwich needs.
Why I love slider casseroles
- Fun to assemble
- Prep ahead and bake when ready for dinner
- Ideal for feeding a crowd or having leftovers
- A favorite on game day
- Customizable - Create your own using ingredients on hand or by incorporating your favorite flavors.
- Shredded chicken - Rotisserie chicken works great here or shred or chop up leftover chicken. Shredded pork is also delicious in this recipe.
- Cheese - I love cheddar in these sliders, but Colby and Provolone are also great options. For a spicy edge, try Pepper Jack.
- Barbecue sauce - I always have this homemade barbecue sauce in my fridge. Use your favorite variety - smoky, honey, sweet, or spicy. Store-bought is fine.
- Toppings - Pickled red onions, french-fried onions, and ranch dressing take these sliders to the next level.
See the recipe card for complete instructions and ingredient amounts.
- Combine shredded chicken with barbecue sauce in a bowl. Toss to coat. (Images 1 and 2)
- Place the bottom half of the slider buns in a 9x13 casserole dish.
- Arrange the cheddar cheese over the top. (Image 3)
- Top with the chicken mixture. (Image 4)
- Place the top of the buns over the chicken. Melt the butter and mix with garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, and parsley.
- Brush the butter mixture over the top of the buns. (Image 5)
- Cover with foil and bake at 375 degrees for 15-20 minutes until the cheese is melted and the sandwiches are warm. (Image 6)
- Top the sandwiches with pickled onions, fried onion strings, and a drizzle of ranch dressing.
Add these sliders to a game day spread or turn them into a meal with any of these side dish ideas.
- French fries or tater tots
- Potato chips
- Pasta salad
- Baked beans
- Corn and black bean salad
- Broccoli and cauliflower salad
The sandwiches can be assembled up to 1 full day ahead of time. Cover tightly and refrigerate until ready to bake. Wait until you are ready to bake to brush the rolls with butter.
These sliders reheat wonderfully well in the microwave. Wrap 1 or 2 sliders in a paper towel and microwave for 40-60 seconds until warm. Add toppings and serve.
Store these sliders in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
More chicken recipes you may love
Subscribe to My Casual Pantry to get the latest recipes and ideas sent directly to your inbox.
Barbecue Chicken Slider Casserole
- 3 cups shredded cooked chicken
- ½ cup barbecue sauce
- 12 slider rolls
- 9 slices cheddar cheese
- 1½ tablespoons unsalted butter (melted)
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon parsley
- ⅛ teaspoon paprika
- pickled red onions
- french fried onions
- ranch dressing
Pickled red onions
- ½ cup red wine vinegar
- ½ cup water
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ large red onion (thinly sliced)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the shredded chicken with barbecue sauce. Toss to coat.
- Place the bottom half of the slider buns in the casserole dish. Top with the cheddar cheese slices.
- Arrange the chicken mixture on top of the cheese. Cover with the top of the buns.
- In a small bowl, combine the butter, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, and parsley. Brush this mixture over the top of the buns.
- Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil and bake for 15-20 minutes until the cheese is melted and the sandwiches are warmed through.
- Add toppings to the sandwiches. Top with pickled onions, french-fried onions, and a drizzle of ranch dressing.
Pickled red onions
- In a small saucepan over medium-low heat, combine the vinegar, water, sugar, and salt. Heat to dissolve the sugar and salt.
- Add the sliced onions to a heat-proof glass jar. Pour the pickling liquid over the top. Cool and allow the onions to marinate for 30 minutes before enjoying. Store in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
- Sliders can be made up to 1 day in advance. Assemble the sliders, stopping before brushing the buns with butter. Cover tightly and refrigerate. When ready to bake, brush the rolls with the butter mixture and bake according to the recipe directions.
- Store leftover baked sliders in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- To reheat, wrap 1 or 2 sliders in a paper towel. Microwave for 40-60 seconds or until warm. Add toppings and serve.
Nutritional information is an estimate and will vary depending upon the exact amounts and specific ingredients used.